Can shure SRH 440 compare to $200 headphones?
Dec 23, 2009 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

beachbum1212

New Head-Fier
Title pretty much says it all. I'm in the $200 price range but the reviews for the Shure SRH 440 look great. Would this be a good choice for someone looking for closed, comfortable, and good sound with modern rock, some rap/hip-hop, and gaming? If not what more expensive headphones would have along the same lines of sound or better?

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 9
Why not get the 840s that people have noted to be superior to the 440s yet cost well under $200.00?

When looking for a closed 'desk' headphone for my office I considered two, the 840 and the Ultrasone hfi 780. I wanted a headphone that would was 'fun,' worked well with hip hop/rock and would keep me awake as I work on my thesis. I auditioned the 840 but ended up buying the a pair of used 780s with the beyer pads. I hadn't heard the 780s, but the 840s lacked energy. The 'studio monitor' label is fitting as the reproduced sound was flat - I found them to be similar to my re0's. If I had wanted something to listen to all genre's I probably would have bought the 840s; however, I wanted an engaging sound that would keep me awake while listening to a certain type of music.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 9
You should get the AH-D1001 instead, imo.

edit: or get the 440 and ask yourself, "where's the bass?"
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 9
I have the 440s. I like them very much, but they are not bass-heavy headphones in any way. That being said, bass is still there, just with a more 'quality over quantity' approach; bass detail and extension are both good, not to mention across the spectrum. Even though I listen to mostly modern alternative rock, I don't consider myself a bass lover, and so I'm happy with them. But for hip-hop and gaming, I don't think they'll quite deliver; Shure calls them 'professional studio headphones' after all.

I haven't heard the 840s myself, but people say they're warmer sounding than the 440s. They might suit you better, but that's to be taken with a grain of salt as again, I haven't heard the 840s before. The D1001s mentioned by xnor might also be more suitable; I bought my 440s because they were collapsible unlike the D1001s, but you might not need that function.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 9
Not having heard the 440's, I have to say that that SRH840's are quite handy at all genre's. I particularly enjoy their sound for electronica and vocal jazz. I think describing them as neutral is very good. Everything is there, nothing overpowers, good detail, and I think they are wonderful to wear for hours. They aren't going to rattle bones with bass, but it is definitely there, it extends well, and is pretty well controlled. They are a superb all arounder, especially when you can get them under $140. I have bassier headphones, which can be fun, but I enjoy a balanced presentation much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back