Can Sennheiser top the Sony Qualia 010?
Feb 10, 2005 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Kurt

1000+ Head-Fier
They have done it back then with the Orpheus.

Can they do it again?

How should it be?

Please elaborate your Estimation.

TIA

Feb 10, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 42
I've heard the Orpheus mops the floor with everything imaginable...combined. But that's just a what a few people said. I'm certain Sennheiser could make something better, but why would they? The lower end is a much bigger market. How many people can actually afford a Qualia 010 and a good amp to drive it? How many people could afford the $14,000 Orpheus?

Feb 10, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 42
from what i've been told the Qualia has some flaws too... i've never heard them myself... and i never plan to... when something that costs 10% of the price can do more than i'll ever need from a headphone

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

I'm certain Sennheiser could make something better, but why would they? The lower end is a much bigger market. How many people can actually afford a Qualia 010 and a good amp to drive it? How many people could afford the $14,000 Orpheus?

definitely. Hell, the majority of the US 010 owners are members on this forum
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 42
but he said US owners... their popularity in japan doesn't affect what percentage of US 010 owners are from this forum

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 42
i can't really see Sennheiser going for that kind of price point any time soon. i'm sure that they could make a dynamic headphone that matches the 010 if they wanted, but they probably don't see enough profit in it.

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #8 of 42
IMO sennheiser certainly has the know-how to make as good or better phones than sony but they lack the brand name recognition, funds and large volume capable manufacturing process for such highend items.

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
but they lack the brand name recognition, funds and large volume capable manufacturing process for such highend items.

Are you freakin kidding me?
confused.gif
eek.gif

Sennheiser is one of the most well known brands in the world for headphone audio regardless of low or high end. I'll wager they are even more respected than Sony in this regard...

They sure do have the funds, capacity and recognition...

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

IMO sennheiser certainly has the know-how to make as good or better phones than sony but they lack the brand name recognition, funds and large volume capable manufacturing process for such highend items.

Sennheiser neither lacks the reputation (at least not in Europe) nor the manufacturing capabilities.Sennheiser isn't a small company like Grado, we are talking about a four digit number of employees and several factories here.
There are rumours that Senn considers to relaunch the famous electrostats,and that makes actually sense.
No expenses for R&D this time, and they are planning to cut down the costs by a less impressive and cheaper amp.
In case they are really smart they will sell the cans without an amp but equipped with an connector compatible to Stax.

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Your argument:

-You assume that Sony makes better headphones than Sennheiser
-You assume that Sennheiser does not have brand recognition in headphone industry
-You also assume that to make quality headphones Sennheiser have to spend as much money as only a huge corporation like Sony can afford

My response:

-Sennheiser high-end headphones are recognized as neutral and extremely faithful to the original recording (with decent source and amp). OTOH, Sony's high-end headphones add a signature sound to the recording and frankly speaking 'color' the sound - some people like that others don’t... therefore; Sennheiser and Sony cater to different markets in the high-end headphone category. So neither Sony nor Sennheiser makes better headphones, it all depends on the consumer's taste.

-Sennheiser name is associated with high quality headphones from the 40 years or so.

-HD580/HD600/HD650 are still one of the best selling headphones around and compete with many more expensive headphones from other companies. Also most headphiles at least have owned one/many of the above mentioned series. HD650 is still not even reached the maturity of its PLC (product life cycle) so there is no reason for Sennheiser to top it with ‘HD700’ anytime soon...

Sony's 010 is still a very exclusive product which costs a lot for a dynamic headphone... personally I would wait for at least a dozen or so 'credible' reviews of 010 compared to HD650 before I consider 010 seriously – but then again for $3000 it has be something really special, which I suspect it is not (based on some member's impression in this forum).

Btw, the poll in this thread is also presumptive and biased because it already 'assumes' that 010 has topped HV90, so I did not bother to vote.

Feb 10, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
Btw, the poll in this thread is also presumptive and biased because it already 'assumes' that 010 has topped HV90, so I did not bother to vote.

OK, just for clarification. The poll and the Question applies to:

1.Dynamic Headphones.
2.In Production Headphones.

Sorry for any confusion.

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Well, at least Senn can say to Sony "been there, done that" ... =)

600smile.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #14 of 42
Sure they can make an equal but would they? Probably not. I say equal because everybody has their own preferences and at the very top, it's very much about preference instead of absolute performance.

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

My response:

-Sennheiser high-end headphones are recognized as neutral and extremely faithful to the original recording (with decent source and amp). OTOH, Sony's high-end headphones add a signature sound to the recording and frankly speaking 'color' the sound - some people like that others don’t... therefore; Sennheiser and Sony cater to different markets in the high-end headphone category. So neither Sony nor Sennheiser makes better headphones, it all depends on the consumer's taste.

-Sennheiser name is associated with high quality headphones from the 40 years or so.

-HD580/HD600/HD650 are still one of the best selling headphones around and compete with many more expensive headphones from other companies. Also most headphiles at least have owned one/many of the above mentioned series. HD650 is still not even reached the maturity of its PLC (product life cycle) so there is no reason for Sennheiser to top it with ‘HD700’ anytime soon...

Sony's 010 is still a very exclusive product which costs a lot for a dynamic headphone... personally I would wait for at least a dozen or so 'credible' reviews of 010 compared to HD650 before I consider 010 seriously – but then again for $3000 it has be something really special, which I suspect it is not (based on some member's impression in this forum).

Great post, feel the same. As for now it is impossible to listen or borrow Qualia 010 from an European audio shop, i would wait a few pro reviews comparing 010 against HD650 with some serious source and no less than a BlockHead feeding both if i was considering buying one.

I may be wrong but i think lot of people around think: forward, detailled, in your face sound = ultimate sound.

OK it's also a matter of taste but me think the thing to beat in 2005 and for the years to come is the HD650's 0,05% THD. This is no BS. Listen to the voices with an ultimate HD650 setup. But it seems very few headphone amps have THD below 0,05%, allowing the HD650 to fully express their potential...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back