can senn hd600 run out of stereo component amp? (forgive my stupidity)
Apr 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

amanojakumo

New Head-Fier
This is probably sooo stupid, but I'm not even sure how to frame the question for searching the forum.

I have a component stereo system (if that's the right word)...

a/v receiver / equalizer component
power amp with 1/4 size headphone plug in
tape deck component
cd player component

Can I plug the sennheiser hd600 into the 1/4 headphone plug in and get adequate power for them? Or do I have to specifically buy a "headphone amp" for them?

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Short answer, you can plug them in, but it more than likely won't power them adequately.
They really won't be anywhere near their potential and you'll probably wonder what all the fuss is about without a decent amp.
Sorry, I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 8
If you had cans with a lower impedance you might get away with it.

May 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Just updating my threads so no one searching for information will come to a dead end.

I had hoped to come back and give my opinion on the senn hd600 with an airhead amp, but the place I was going to buy the hd600 from jacked the price up $60.

This left me in the position of not being able to buy an amp and the cheapest price I could find the hd600 for was $20 less than the hd650. Why is that? Older model virtually the same price as the newer model?

So I decided to take a chance and buy the hd650 and try it on my home stereo rack system. I was nervous as hell buying them not knowing if they would run well out of my stereo system. My system is a pioneer rack system from 1997 that cost me $1,000.

They ended up sounding great. Not distant or weak or disappointing in any way. The best thing I can say about them is they make me forget I'm wearing headphones and not listening to my standing floor speakers. I don't know if my power amp is one of the good ones or if ignorance is bliss, but I'll be happy with this setup for the next year or 2 until I finish school.

Oddly enough, my senn hd485 sound a bit odd out of my power amp. I didn't know what dark, muddy, and veiled meant until I tried plugging those in. Maybe that's their sound signature and I never heard it properly without amping them? I think they're 30 ohm, so I don't know why they seem distant sounding out of my amp when 300 ohm hd650 sound up close and personal. I'll be keeping the hd485 as my unamped headphones.

May 3, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 8
There have been numerous threads on using receivers and integrated amps for headphones. Many are quite sufficient except for when using the most demanding headphones. This holds true especially for vintage gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back