Can RS-1s get new wires?
Dec 20, 2003 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jfalford

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a way to retofit A pair of RS-1s with a higher quality cable? I know they don't have the built in capability of the Senn600s for this change but if they are making them with balanced cables for the blockhead..... oh well, it's just a thought.

Dec 20, 2003 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 7
If you want to use them with a blockhead, you have to contact grado labs to get the balanced cable installed on the headphones. I have no clue what the charge of this process is

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 7
No Ebonyks, what I'm wondering is does Grado allow that there might be better cables out there than the use as stock on the phones and has anyone ever switched cables on the RS-1s. I am a technical moron and would never attempt anything like this with such an expensive product. But I would like to know if Grado or Headroom has ever done anything like this.
etysmile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 7
It's possible, but you'd need to open up the earcups and soder the cable directly onto the drivers. I don't think anyone has done this outside of the RS1's for Headroom's blockhead.

Edit: Check out the Headwize Article on Grado mods.

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 7
Takes 2 seconds to do and it would work.

I had to put the sr-200 cables on the hp-2 drivers When I was making the ss-1. Very easy to do had no problems.

Dec 21, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 7
It's been done, but no one has really made a busniess out of it like with the senn cables. Really, when you're soldering directly to drivers, it can be dangerous unless you're an unusally talented solderer, but the sonic benefits could be anywhere from non existant to huge, i don't know the construction details of the grado cable other the fact it's low crystal

Dec 21, 2003 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 7
I faintly recall a member here who swapped his RS-1 cable with a Joe Grado Ultra-Wide Bandwidth cable from a dead HP-1. He said there were some sonic improvements, but the differences were so subtle that he wouldn't repeat the procedure on another RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back