can putting your music too loud ruin the headphones?
Jun 28, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 18
if it's not clipping your cans will be fine

Jun 28, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bdjuf
well my original question is:
can it ruin the headphones and the quality of the music? (I have HD600)

but damn, these articles are scaring me bigtime! I have my headphones on a good 6-10 hours a day, pretty loud, but not very loud

lower the volume a bit and you should be fine.

Jun 28, 2003 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 18
headphones will be fine if signal is clean as i said before and you're ears will be fine. old people have no lust for life. crank it.
600smile.gif

Jun 28, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 18
As Goose said, unless they're clipping, there is nothing to worry about.

Jun 28, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 18
Jun 28, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #13 of 18
In a nut shell: YES. Too much power can ruin your cans. They can only take so much excursion or power before they fry internally. I have not heard of too many that have done this, but it is possible.

Jun 28, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #14 of 18
Doug is right, you can fry the drivers. They can only dissipate a finite amount of energy before the adhesives break down and the coils separate. Clipping is not an issue for the headphones (no crossovers or tweeters involved) but it would indicate that you are pushing the amp too hard.

With high impedence drivers it is unlikely that you will exceed their thermal limits, but the excursion limits can be hit if you play loud and run bass boost. If you ever hear a clatter, turn them down quick!

Be careful and take care of your ears. There won't be a new model of those out next year
wink.gif

gerG

Jun 28, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bdjuf
well my original question is:
can it ruin the headphones and the quality of the music? (I have HD600)

but damn, these articles are scaring me bigtime! I have my headphones on a good 6-10 hours a day, pretty loud, but not very loud

Be careful! Be very very careful!!! You'd better take a rest of 30 minutes (min) every 1 or 2 hours. I got my ears into serious trouble with 8 - 12 hours of prolonged listening at a stretch. I wasn't even listening to it loud at that time. More like background music.

Then the ringing started. It rang for 3 straight days and I can tell you from first hand experience you will NOT be sleeping for 3 nights in a row. It was a horrible horrible experience.

I don't even dare to listen to a headphone for more than 30mins now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back