Can processing only ruin your music?
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #61 of 69
  Ah, now I get it. I finally found that patent document.
As the boost is increased the corner frequency is gradually lowered, in accordance with equal loudness theories. Simple but clever.

How did they get a patent on that? The loudness switch on my AV receiver does that. Is the patent just applied for or did they actually convince the office to give them a patent on that?

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #62 of 69
  Does your Rane affect the soundstage? The ART 355 made seemed to be good at turning large venue's into tiny ones! I am expecting the Rane in the next few days.
I'm also looking at Parametric. Thanks! Nice to hear from a Bigshot btw! :)

No. It's super clean. Cheap old consumer equalizers used to have all kinds of phase problems and spill between channels, but modern pro ones are much better. Parametric equalizers are less intuitive, but once you learn how to use them, they are more flexible. You don't need as many bands with a parametric.

My bigshot nickname came from an animation studio I used to work at. The director figured it would be fun if his producer wore a 1930s style pinstripe double breasted suit and had a cigar clenched in his teeth at all times. I did my best to accommodate him and wore the costume to work one day, so he gave me the bigshot title.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #63 of 69

How did they get a patent on that? The loudness switch on my AV receiver does that. Is the patent just applied for or did they actually convince the office to give them a patent on that?

I suspect the patent is for the analogue implementation.
Digital applications of these principles has been in use in receivers and recording studios for a long time.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #64 of 69

No. It's super clean. Cheap old consumer equalizers used to have all kinds of phase problems and spill between channels, but modern pro ones are much better. Parametric equalizers are less intuitive, but once you learn how to use them, they are more flexible. You don't need as many bands with a parametric.

My bigshot nickname came from an animation studio I used to work at. The director figured it would be fun if his producer wore a 1930s style pinstripe double breasted suit and had a cigar clenched in his teeth at all times. I did my best to accommodate him and wore the costume to work one day, so he gave me the bigshot title.

Excellent! Mine arrives tomorrow or Saturday. I just got the XLR cables..
Funny story btw! Take pictures?
EDIT: I connected my Oppo to the ART 355 using XLR cables- while the OUT from EQ is still RCA. Much less effect on soundstage! Evidently the worst effect is via the RCA IN to the ART 355.
The sound is pretty good. Going to A/B with some demanding Classical.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #65 of 69
I haven't noticed any difference between XLR and RCA. I use RCA because it's easier.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #66 of 69

I suspect the patent is for the analogue implementation.
Digital applications of these principles has been in use in receivers and recording studios for a long time.

I doubt it's a digital thing on my Yamaha receiver.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #67 of 69
  I haven't noticed any difference between XLR and RCA. I use RCA because it's easier.

So you have the ART 355 Equalizer? I thought you had a RANE EQ? I just got a RANE from Amazon. MUCH better than the ART 355! I was getting fatigued listening to the ART355. I just spend more than 6 hours listening to the RANE without any listening fatigue. BTW the model I got has only balanced outputs.I had to use a transformer so I could connect to my Yamaha A/V/
All good!

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #68 of 69
I have the Rane connected to my transcription rig. I guess I have XLR to RCA cables on it. I didn't realize you were talking about a different equalizer. A Rane is a very good EQ.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #69 of 69
  I have the Rane connected to my transcription rig. I guess I have XLR to RCA cables on it. I didn't realize you were talking about a different equalizer. A Rane is a very good EQ.

I am quite happy with the Rane! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back