can portable dac feed a home stereo
Mar 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Doo Doo Brown

New Head-Fier
Could I use a portable dac/amp to feed my home rig? I have a MacBook that I want to use with a dac to play through my home amp and speakers. Would a portable dac with a line out, such as the ibasso d10, work with this setup? I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone by purchasing something that I can use as both a portable headphone amp for my ipod and a stand-alone dac for my Macbook to use with my speakers. Yes, I'm trying to get away with a cheap solution to two separate problems.
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm just going to be doing 2 channel from the computer. I have an older Onkyo receiver (Integra TX-870) paired with some even older Ohm L series speakers. I also have a Yamaha home theater receiver (HTR-5860) for multichannel with Athena floorstanders, bookshelves, center channel and a Hsu sub. I'll occasionally use the Athena floorstanders for 2 channel, but they're pretty bright and don't sound great except with really well recorded music.

Eventually I want to get a Squeezebox and go discless except for multichannel recordings and DVDs (for which I use an Oppo 980). For now I'm trying to get away with running my Macbook through one of my receivers and trying to figure out if I can do this with a portable dac. Or would I be better off just getting a squeezebox and a relatively inexpensive portable headphone amp (for which I don't need a dac since I only listen through my ipod.) Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #6 of 7
well, the macbook should have optical out, which you can go straight to the HTR-5860 through, and probably get stereo and multi-channel depending on how you play with software (I don't know OS X, I don't know how to enable/etc DDL or Neo:pC, and so on)

otherwise, "yes" is a perfectly suitable answer for stereo, just connect it -> stereo IC -> either reciever

with the Yamaha you should have DPLIIx which can "emulate" surround (and sound like a claxon in a box canyon doing so) if you really want that, otherwise, just go with stereo

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Sure! As long as the portable DAC have signal level outputs it can be used to drive home rigs as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back