Can portable DAC/Amps charge and exchange data simultaneously?
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Meeotch

New Head-Fier
First time poster, thanks for the help!

I'm shopping for my first headphone amp/DAC that will be used with my PC. I was about to pull the trigger on the Fiio E10K when I thought - why don't I buy something more portable that could also be used with an iPod classic? The Fiio E17K looks great from a portable aspect but my big question is: if I also try to use it as a desktop amp/DAC, will it stay charged and play music simultaneously? If I have to choose between charge mode and data exchange mode with the USB interface then that's a no-go. Or maybe there is a device out there that can run double duty? Thanks!

PS - if anyone could point me towards the literature that discusses this topic I would much appreciate it.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm pretty sure that the Fiio can charge and be used at the same time-- the only input for the DAC functionality is the USB port- the same as the charger.  It also says it can charge from your PC, so I assume you can do both.

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 3
  First time poster, thanks for the help!

I'm shopping for my first headphone amp/DAC that will be used with my PC. I was about to pull the trigger on the Fiio E10K when I thought - why don't I buy something more portable that could also be used with an iPod classic? The Fiio E17K looks great from a portable aspect but my big question is: if I also try to use it as a desktop amp/DAC, will it stay charged and play music simultaneously? If I have to choose between charge mode and data exchange mode with the USB interface then that's a no-go. Or maybe there is a device out there that can run double duty? Thanks!

PS - if anyone could point me towards the literature that discusses this topic I would much appreciate it.

Maybe sell off the iPod Classic and get a FiiO X3 Gen II.
You get everything in one device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back