Chivalry

100+ Head-Fier
Heya
smily_headphones1.gif
after buying my first ever dap!
lambda.gif
and buying more headphones... (senn cx300 and Koss KSC75
icon10.gif
) i started thinking about maybe finaly doing justice to my pair of Senn 580`s and getting an Amp for them,,,, and was wondering if theres any portable amps that i could use will both my home rig and the 580`s,, and my portable rig with the cx300 / KSC75 ?

Also.. on another side note... i have both an Onkyo CD player and a AV reciever.. both with Phones sockets... which would probably be the better one to use with my 580`s?

on a third note
smily_headphones1.gif
if theres no portable that can feed both my home and portable rig.. can anyone reccomend a good, cheapish amp that will really help my 580`s shine?

thnx for any info... i spent a couple hours trawling the forums... and am frankly overwhelmed with information.. lol
580smile.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 3
A good CMoy, preferrably one with two 9V batteries, can pretty much do what you ask. Chu Moy created the CMoy to enable driving high-impedance Senn's from portables. Meanwhile, the KSC75 is efficient enough that it can drive those well, too. It's when you start trying to push really low impedance phones like Grado's that a CMoy has problems.

Stick with the basic Tangent derivative, listed as one of several here - http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio. Since the opamp in a CMoy is driving the headphones directly, you are better off with something less exotic like the OPA2132 or OPA2134. It has a forceful bottom end to make up for the lack of real power for bass slam, but can slew large voltage differences with the best of 'em - something the HD580 will really like. Tangent also builds his with the 2-9V. Many of the CMoy's you find on ebay take shortcuts - using the cheaper OPA2227 (bass-shy) and most only use one 9V battery.

A single 9V battery is still better for a 580 than a PAV2, but I guess what I'm suggesting is to build the CMoy yourself. Or, find a DIY-er who is moving up to better amps and selling his CMoy. At least with the 580, you'd have to get in the $200-$300 amp range before you could tell a difference from a good CMoy.

P.S. There are other portables that can do what you ask, but none that are "cheapish."

Nov 16, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Yup, I used my go vibe v3 to drive my 580s for a year, now I have an Aria
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll sell your my go vibe if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back