can playing music on high/max volume on PC damage or degrade headphone sound quality?
Sep 23, 2016 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JuSOCOM

New Head-Fier
Hello i'd worries if PC can damage or degrade headphone sound quality from high/max volume?

i have one mine Audio-Technica MSR-7  and couple days ago my friends ask me to try my headphone. He's connect MSR-7 to MacBook and turn volume on almost max 80-90% without wearing it 0_0 i can hear sound from my MSR-7 from half meter away but i know it way too loud even i never turn volume on that high and sound from my can are very loud (in my opinion) compare to my memory.

but as soon as my friend put the volume up i stop him almost suddenly and i very worry about my headphone so much for all days.
frown.gif

i'm afraid that my can sound quality will degrade or something will be damage inside. after that i tried my can listening for any unusual and i feel that mid are a bit less bright and less forward than i remember but i really not sure i think it maybe just my brain.

so i want ask if headphone can be damaged or degraded from using with PC on almost max volume?

Thanks in advance - JU 

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Most likely not. It is generally advisable to leave your source volume (computer, player, etc.) at maximum, turn the volume knob on your amp down to zero, and gradually increase the volume to your desired level when you are using a new headphone. After that, you can leave the volume knob at your usual level. If you are not using an external amp and are driving the headphones directly from the headphone outputs of a computer, you should leave the computer at maximum volume and control the volume with your music player, starting at zero and gradually going up to find a level you are comfortable with.

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hello i'd worries if PC can damage or degrade headphone sound quality from high/max volume?
i have one mine Audio-Technica MSR-7  and couple days ago my friends ask me to try my headphone. He's connect MSR-7 to MacBook and turn volume on almost max 80-90% without wearing it 0_0 i can hear sound from my MSR-7 from half meter away but i know it way too loud even i never turn volume on that high and sound from my can are very loud (in my opinion) compare to my memory.
but as soon as my friend put the volume up i stop him almost suddenly and i very worry about my headphone so much for all days.
size]

i'm afraid that my can sound quality will degrade or something will be damage inside. after that i tried my can listening for any unusual and i feel that mid are a bit less bright and less forward than i remember but i really not sure i think it maybe just my brain.
so i want ask if headphone can be damaged or degraded from using with PC on almost max volume?
Thanks in advance - JU 

I would think if your headphones had suffered damage, it would show up more then just in the mid range.

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 5
I think there is nothing to worry about. If it were a powerful desktop amp you plugged it into then perhaps damage is possible, but I doubt it for a normal computer like a macbook. Your headphone spec say it can take a peak power of 2W, which is more than a typical sound card could produce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back