Can PK1 take abuse?
Dec 7, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #16 of 34
I'd prefer the PK1 to OK1, mostly because of the bass that make it more fun sounding than OK1
wink.gif
I dont know about durablity bit yuin earbuds have been sleeping with me for the past 2 years
biggrin.gif

oh and, PK2 does not sound fun, it have quite a lot of detail but not much bass, only PK1 and PK3 do, you can think this way, PK3+PK2= PK1, imo
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 34
one of my cats seems to consider my pk1s as his personal toy. i have caught him dragging them around the house on numerous occasions. they still work fine though. i still freak out every time because they look so fragile.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of my cats seems to consider my pk1s as his personal toy. i have caught him dragging them around the house on numerous occasions. they still work fine though. i still freak out every time because they look so fragile.

fragile + cheap
wink.gif

however, we should ask if the iphone can stand it
biggrin.gif
as the OP said his brother will be using iphone
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #19 of 34
Hahaha, I am not worried about his iPhone, he has case on it, and I don't have a cat.

So PK1 = Fun with big bass
PK2 = Not very fun because no big bass but detailed
PK3 = Fun, big bass, not very detailed

Does anyone consider OK2 fun? or just critical?

Dec 7, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by quanganh101090 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not use pk1 unamped for background listening, and amp it for serious listening ? I think it's good to have something that can be used for all purposes ?
wink.gif
(sorry, pk1 lover :p )

Well, that would be a nice option. I recommended to use one of the lower end ones because if he falls, and breaks his PK1/OK1, that would be pretty sad
biggrin.gif
Oh, and I am glad to know that you love the PK1's, I tried them for a week thanks to a friend, and they are pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, well I bought a PK1 from quanganh101090 today.

It's nice to see that you already made a decision on what to buy
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I only consider PK1,3 to be fun, have not tried OK3 yet, but OK1,2 sound too analytical to be fun
smily_headphones1.gif

"Fun" is something pretty subjective; I use my OK1's (for now) as my main listening headphone, and for me the sound is not so analytical to be boring (in fact, my ears might be bad or something, but I don't consider them to be too much analytical, altough they are pretty accurate). The PK1 might be bassier, and some people consider that to be fun, but in the end the only person that can decide which sound signature is better is yourself (or your brother in this case
biggrin.gif
). You should use all the opinions from Head-Fi as a reference, and not as the last word; otherwise you might feel disappointed some times.
Regards.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 34
I want to try the PK1's again though... Altough I was able to use them for a week, I was so busy with all the University exams that I wasn't able to give them the attention that they deserve
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to try the PK1's again though... Altough I was able to use them for a week, I was so busy with all the University exams that I wasn't able to give them the attention that they deserve
frown.gif

you can make a FT topic to trade your OK1 for a PK1
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it will be easy to do
wink.gif
anyway, I still prefer the PK1, cuz the detail is good enough for me, and you can use the amp to tune the bass the way you like
biggrin.gif
that's something I call perfection
biggrin.gif
(imho
biggrin.gif
)

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

you can make a FT topic to trade your OK1 for a PK1
smily_headphones1.gif
I think it will be easy to do
wink.gif
anyway, I still prefer the PK1, cuz the detail is good enough for me, and you can use the amp to tune the bass the way you like
biggrin.gif
that's something I call perfection
biggrin.gif
(imho
biggrin.gif
)

I could do that, but what would I do in case that I find the OK1's to be better for me? They would be harder (and more expensive) to get again
frown.gif
That's the bad thing about living at Costa Rica, because nobody likes to lend me things (except a few Head-Fi'ers
biggrin.gif
But I don't like to be bothering them)... The only thing that still drags me towards the PK1's is soundstage, but I don't remember if it sounded bigger or smaller (or more definded) compared to the OK1's
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 34
many says that OK1 have bigger soundstage than PK1, however, the soundstage of PK1 really shine with its bass, those two element make a kind of bass I cannot find in any other earbud, it sound like a big can !

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #27 of 34
Are you sure an earbud is the best choice for snowboarding? Earbuds are a PITA to keep in the ear, especially in something active.

Wouldn't this be a job for an IEM/canalphone?

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #28 of 34
Any cable that is subjected to freezing temperatures will be prone to breaking. Most of the cable, along with the iPhone will probably be inside his nice, warm, 98.6 degree jacket pocket. But not the part between his earmuffs and his collar.

I've had problems with my Jabra wired phone earpiece and the power cord to my Garmin Nuvi, freezing and then breaking internally under the insulation, while being stored in the car during the winter.

I don't think any cable is going to be immune to this, so that, along with the addition of falling on the snow pack (been there all to many times) shows that a pair of ipod earbuds or EX SL-51's would be a better option due to disposability, and use the PK1 with a nice amp for more critical listening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure an earbud is the best choice for snowboarding? Earbuds are a PITA to keep in the ear, especially in something active.

They will work pretty well with a headband or earmuffs.
IEMs, especially with foamies or tri-flanges get hard and brittle in the cold and become uncomfortable to wear.

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

many says that OK1 have bigger soundstage than PK1, however, the soundstage of PK1 really shine with its bass, those two element make a kind of bass I cannot find in any other earbud, it sound like a big can !

Really? From other reviews I've read, the PK1's apparently have a bigger soundstage...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wouldn't this be a job for an IEM/canalphone?

That pretty much depends in the shape of the person's ears. I remember that sometimes my Triple.Fi's felt from my ear while walking (not too much/often fortunately), even when I got a good seal. Using my OK1's with foam covers helps to keep them in place all the time
biggrin.gif

But maybe some IEM's could do a better job while he is goign down the mountain at high speed...

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any cable that is subjected to freezing temperatures will be prone to breaking. Most of the cable, along with the iPhone will probably be inside his nice, warm, 98.6 degree jacket pocket. But not the part between his earmuffs and his collar.

I've had problems with my Jabra wired phone earpiece and the power cord to my Garmin Nuvi, freezing and then breaking internally under the insulation, while being stored in the car during the winter.

I don't think any cable is going to be immune to this, so that, along with the addition of falling on the snow pack (been there all to many times) shows that a pair of ipod earbuds or EX SL-51's would be a better option due to disposability, and use the PK1 with a nice amp for more critical listening.

If I remember well, Kostalex said at his PK1/OK1's comparison thread that he hoped that the OK1's cable could whistand cold weather better than his PK1's (which he needed to recable)... I suppose that where he lives is pretty cold, so maybe the PK1's cable won't be so good at cold weather?

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That pretty much depends in the shape of the person's ears. I remember that sometimes my Triple.Fi's felt from my ear while walking (not too much/often fortunately), even when I got a good seal. Using my OK1's with foam covers helps to keep them in place all the time
biggrin.gif

But maybe some IEM's could do a better job while he is goign down the mountain at high speed...

Maybe my ears? IDK, I always feel like I have to adjust the buds to make them secure. I've tried earbuds and hated them. I tried all the tricks, the foam covers made my ears itch, also tried wearing a bandanna or a beanie but that was a bit of a pain in the summer. Ended up using some behind the neck Sonys until I discovered in-ears. Never looked back since then. IN ears have worked for me, especially if the driver body is small and low profile so it fits comfortably under my hat. The silicon eartips work as long as I don't pull them out outside.

Another suggestion would be circumaural cans. If in-ears are not an option for whatever reason, cans could also double as earmuffs.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back