Can PK1 take abuse?
Dec 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

ArmednInsane

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys,

it is almost Christmas time and I am thinking of getting my brother either a Yuin PK1 or OK1, but I was wondering if:

1. They will be good without an amp from an iPhone?
2. If it needs amp, my brother has an iBasso T4. Has anyone tried this combo? is it any good?
3. I heard that Yuin's cable build is not very strong, because my brother will bring either the PK or OK with him to snowboarding. Do you guys think it can stand up to it?

Thanks in advance for your insight. It is greatly appreciated

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 34
I'm using PK1 + iBasso T4 + iPhone 3G, just the same as your brother
biggrin.gif

without an amp, PK1 is just good *enough*, that's it, it have PK2's detail and PK3's bass ^__^ but only with an amp it can show all of its ability. it sounds much better with T4. more punchy bass and LOTS more detail. I think PK1 + T4 would be perfect for anyone who want an ultra portable solution
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 34
For question 1, the answer is no.

iphone's output power is too weak........
it is the worst one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello guys,

it is almost Christmas time and I am thinking of getting my brother either a Yuin PK1 or OK1, but I was wondering if:

1. They will be good without an amp from an iPhone?
2. If it needs amp, my brother has an iBasso T4. Has anyone tried this combo? is it any good?
3. I heard that Yuin's cable build is not very strong, because my brother will bring either the PK or OK with him to snowboarding. Do you guys think it can stand up to it?

Thanks in advance for your insight. It is greatly appreciated

Dec 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 34
I dont think so, for background listening, it's good enough for me. It cant be too loud but still louder than all the noise around. Anyway, only with an amp PK1 can give everything it has to offer
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For question 1, the answer is no.

iphone's output power is too weak........
it is the worst one.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 34
I used PK2s all last summer bicycling and they held up great, better than expected.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 34
Oh, thank you very much guys for the responses. I guess, he needs to use the T4. I was just worried that since during snowboard, its cold and there is a lot of movements for the cables that it will break.

Anyway, I will put in the order. Thank you very much again guys

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 34
If your brother is going to snowboard, maybe the PK2 which doesn't need to be amped would suffice. For the price of the PK1, you could get him a PK2 and a PK3 (then he has backup if one conks out) or the eqivalent OK model to the PK2. Now I do have the PK1's, but I amp them and really like them (I use either a Fii0 E3 or a Decware Zen Head or a Total Bithead).

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 34
Get him a pair of pk3s. They sound almost identical to the PK1s amped.

I've used the pk1s for about 8 months until I had to replace the plug because of a failure. I've done a bad solder job though so now I got to replace the plug again. But I cant be bothered anymore.

I just cant recommend the pk2s at the price their are going for. The PK2 is a prime example that people equate higher price to higher audio quality. It seems to be a rule of thumb around here but just isnt always true.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get him a pair of pk3s. They sound almost identical to the PK1s amped.

imo, wrong. the bass may be the same but not the detail
smily_headphones1.gif
in fact if I use eq to reduce the bass, I feel like pk1's detail is similiar to pk2, which pk3 dont have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 34
If he is only going to use it for background listening, specially while doing snowboarding, I wouldn't recommend any really good earbud (say PK1 or OK1). IMO, it would be better to buy one of the "worst" ones for using while he is doing his snowboarding, and a better one (like the OK2, which is good unamped) for better sound quality while at home. I use my OK1's unamped, using only my brother's Sansa e280 when I go walking, and I am more than happy with their sound quality. At home, I use my "Predator", and sound quality gets improved, but IMO it's not a night/day difference. Come on, he isn't going to hear every detail and appreciate all the sound quality that the best ones offer, because he will be more concentrated at keeping his balance, and he needs to be paying attention to the field. It would be, IMO, a bit silly to buy the OK1's or PK1's for using only while snowboarding.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jma790 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he is only going to use it for background listening, specially while doing snowboarding, I wouldn't recommend any really good earbud (say PK1 or OK1). IMO, it would be better to buy one of the "worst" ones for using while he is doing his snowboarding, and a better one (like the OK2, which is good unamped) for better sound quality while at home. I use my OK1's unamped, using only my brother's Sansa e280 when I go walking, and I am more than happy with their sound quality. At home, I use my "Predator", and sound quality gets improved, but IMO it's not a night/day difference. Come on, he isn't going to hear every detail and appreciate all the sound quality that the best ones offer, because he will be more concentrated at keeping his balance, and he needs to be paying attention to the field. It would be, IMO, a bit silly to buy the OK1's or PK1's for using only while snowboarding.
Hope that helps.
Cheers!

why not use pk1 unamped for background listening, and amp it for serious listening ? I think it's good to have something that can be used for all purposes ?
wink.gif
(sorry, pk1 lover :p )

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 34
Haha, well I bought a PK1 from quanganh101090 today. But nevertheless, he doesn't use it exclusively for snowboard, it's just that he uses it a lot for snowboard (he still uses it when is out jogging, when he is at school, etc). I was going to buy OK2 for myself and give him the PK1, but do you guys think it is a better idea to give him the OK2? because I heard PK1 is more "fun", thats why I don't think he will be critically listening to any song on the OK2 while snowboarding. If it is a better idea, I don't mind using the PK1 and giving him the OK2.

I originally thought I would just buy him a PK2 or PK3, but I read in one of the review, they are just more of a fun to listen to and not very good in term of detail, etc. I figure my brother could just use his iBuds instead of spending all that money on PK2. thus, I decided to buy him a step up from those, which is the PK1.

Anyway, please post what you think. Thank you

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 34
Oh, I also forgot to add, most of his songs range from regular mp3 (128?) to lossless. I heard the OK line is not very forgiving of bad quality files?

May be too late to mention this, but my brother is not exactly pro snowboarder, so he might fall a few times (broke his collar bone last year
ph34r.gif
), will PK1 be able to withstand the stresses and the cold temperature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back