Can people hear when their TV is on?
Feb 6, 2003 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

grancasa

100+ Head-Fier
At my house we have a pretty complicated home theater system, and sometimes my parents forget to use the macro to turn everything off. This leaves the TV on, but the reciever/TIVO/DVD is all turned off. And I always know when I come home that the TV is on. I can hear a very high pitched sound, like a buzz. This is a standard CRT, 36" Samsung TV. Do other people hear similar things?
(Man, when I don't want to do homework I can come up with some weird questions!)

Feb 6, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #3 of 37
Umm.. Yup
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 37
A buzzing from the tv? Nope.

I have a 35" Sony.

Feb 6, 2003 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 37
Uh, yeah, I know what you're talking about. I hear that too when the TV's left on.

Feb 6, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 37
my new sony tv is much quieter, but my old trinitron sounded like a trumpet in my room. most times, it took me at least five or ten minutes of watching a movie before i "tuned out" the high-pitch whine and could hear the movie's soundtrack without being disturbed.

i haven't spent much time trying to hear the sound of my new tv. of course, my obnoxiously overclocked computer with dozens of case fans is five feet from it and that's enough to drown out the smaller sound (if there is one).

most times i go to other people's houses, it really annoys me to hear the tv from another room. i always try and turn it off. hmm, anybody know the frequency that this happens? i've been interested in getting my hearing tested and see how good/bad it is..

Feb 6, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 37
Some TVs and monitors. The closer I get the more I can hear.

Feb 6, 2003 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 37
I don't hear much when my Wega is on. What does annoy me is my roommate leaving the receiver on, but not the tv, so when I turn on the tv, I get a nice burst of sound pressure from the speakers.
mad.gif

Feb 6, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 37
My tv doesn't buzz much but when it's on mute I can still hear people talk.
(no it are not voices in my head, they sound different.) [size=xx-small]sorry, stupid joke
wink.gif
[/size]

Feb 6, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 37
My 29" Sony makes a little noise, enough to hear when everything else is switched off...

My Iiyama CRT though, silent
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2003 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 37
sony wega t.v. owner here.

when i first got it, it had some geometry problems and a ultra-high pitched whine when on. after a year or so the geometry problems gradually went away and the whine is almost inaudible now. t.v. burn in, perhaps?

the colors and picture on the wega are phenominal, if you are considering one.

Feb 7, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 37
I can hear if a monitor is on in my office building...both of them. It drives me nuts.

I have learned to live with this gift, if that is what one can call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back