can owners of HD650 do this test please?
Nov 18, 2009 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Lunatique

1000+ Head-Fier
I replaced my broken HD555 with the HD600, and it failed the test just like the HD555 did, while my ATH-M50 is the only headphone I have the passes the test (My Westone 3 and Denon AH-D950 also failed). I'm thinking about returning the HD600 and get the HD650 instead since it should have deeper bass and might pass the test. I'd like to know for sure though, so if any of you have the HD650, please do this test and let me know if it passes:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/wan...detail-454811/

If any of you have both the HD650 and ATH-M50, I'd love to know if the HD650 passed the test at the same level as the ATH-M50. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 18
It's a lossy file, so it's not an accurate test...

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a lossy file, so it's not an accurate test...

I already said that the mp3 is perfectly fine for this test. If I can't hear any discernable difference between the LAME encoded mp3 and the original wav file on my $7,000 Klein + Hummel O 300D's in an acoustically treated recording studio, then it's not going to make a bit of difference on any headphone.

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #5 of 18
Luna, we already established in the previous thread that Senn HD580/600/650 aren't great with accuracy. They are amazingly musical, but not a technical champ by any means.

Enjoy what you have. If you want something for studio work go with some stats or K701 type headphones.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 18
yop,

i'm not sure I can hear very clearly the G notes. Sometimes I think I can, sometimes don't. But it seems that you too think that the HD650 fails. So my question is, what about the HD 800? Do it pass?

About loudspeakers make it much better than headphones, it is somehow obvious since they have separate speakers to produce low, medium and high frequency sounds, while headphones have only one driver. So it's pointless to compare loudspeakers to headphones.

lao

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 18
I can hear both notes fine to begin with, then once the drums start, the G is almost completely inaudible. I hear the C a lot better.
I don't think I understand the test.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 18
I have tested my HD650 and it didn't pass the test, but I'm keeping it anyway, since it's fine for what I usually use it for (late at night gaming, music, movies...etc). If I need to do critical listening, I'd use my reference monitors, and if I must do critical listening late at night, I'll use the ATH-M50.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 18
I did the test a while back and it failed. I just couldn't tell. However, with my new Headphile v2 BlackSilver cables, now I can tell. It really sounds like an entirely different animal. The veil is completely removed and sound is very transparent. Separation is greatly improved. Bass detail is better resolved. The stock cable must really suck. That's all I'm going to say. Now my HD650's are reference headphones again.

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yop,

i'm not sure I can hear very clearly the G notes. Sometimes I think I can, sometimes don't. But it seems that you too think that the HD650 fails. So my question is, what about the HD 800? Do it pass?

About loudspeakers make it much better than headphones, it is somehow obvious since they have separate speakers to produce low, medium and high frequency sounds, while headphones have only one driver. So it's pointless to compare loudspeakers to headphones.

lao

How about if you find now that a single transducer can reproduce with ease two or more frequencies at the same time?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 18
sure, as a matter of fact we all can hear different frequencies coming from the solo transducers, but point is that will be less detailed (?) than separated transducers, each one aiming to reproduce a different frequency band. Think of a single transducer charged to vibrate super fast and super slow at the same time. Unless it has different independent parts, it will be very difficult. I don't know much about how the diaphragm(s?) are posed, and how they vibrate with the action of the driver, but it might not be an easy task to reproduce a big band of frequency with only one transducer. I'd like to know more about it, if can indicate any doc about it I would appreciate.

Btw, listen to this: YouTube - bass mechanics-bass zone(tremendous bass) In my HD650 I feel like the high frequencies fade down so badly when the deep low bass frequencies appear (eg, at 19secs), and when these basses go away the volume of the medium/high frequencies increases again. I really don't think that the guy who mixed this track decreased the high/medium, it's just that the headphones can't handle such a dynamic.

leo

Dec 14, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #14 of 18
I can hear the G in the mix. Barely, but it's there. The HD650 aren't exactly the Everest of detail though. They are great phones, with a lot going for them, but detail and speed aren't their forte.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by laobrasuca /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure, as a matter of fact we all can hear different frequencies coming from the solo transducers, but point is that will be less detailed (?) than separated transducers, each one aiming to reproduce a different frequency band. Think of a single transducer charged to vibrate super fast and super slow at the same time. Unless it has different independent parts, it will be very difficult. I don't know much about how the diaphragm(s?) are posed, and how they vibrate with the action of the driver, but it might not be an easy task to reproduce a big band of frequency with only one transducer. I'd like to know more about it, if can indicate any doc about it I would appreciate.

Btw, listen to this: YouTube - bass mechanics-bass zone(tremendous bass) In my HD650 I feel like the high frequencies fade down so badly when the deep low bass frequencies appear (eg, at 19secs), and when these basses go away the volume of the medium/high frequencies increases again. I really don't think that the guy who mixed this track decreased the high/medium, it's just that the headphones can't handle such a dynamic.

leo

If you have that track or mp3 on your computer maybe you can see if the high frequencies fade down or not. (eg. audacity)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back