can over burnt cds really damage cdp?
Oct 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Harry Tuttle

100+ Head-Fier
I've taken the habit of burning taiyo yudens often close to the max they can fit which is 82:45 minutes, I found that on some players I have the playback will start to glitch and/or automatically stop near the end. I haven't had any problems yet but I'm wondering if I should stop overburning just in case it could damage the cdp?

Oct 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Frequent abrupt tracking changes could cause increased play in the laser guidance mechansim over many years. This as in changing tracks frequently with the remote.

Glitchs that stop or interrupt tracking might have something of the same effect.

Might have loose laser tracking with excessive play in laser guidance in 20 to 30 years or so - past the life of the transport and laser.

Oct 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, one would think there would be safeguards included in the mechanism of the cd player's laser to limit the motion...they are servo controlled and thus it shouldn't be a problem unless the laser head literally falls off the corkscrew. I overburn almost all my mix CDs and have never had any problems with any player, just the random skipping / stopping at the end depending on what brand CD-Rs (some, like verbatim, are usually a bit more tolerant if your mix runs a bit over...it also depends on the factory / batch, more like hit or miss).

I think it's BS.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might have loose laser tracking with excessive play in laser guidance in 20 to 30 years or so - past the life of the transport and laser.

So in other words, no
normal_smile .gif
Thanks, I wasn't expecting a detailed answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back