Can outputs be added together?
Dec 31, 2001 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Steven Everett

New Head-Fier
I built a Szekeres headphone amp (with the gain stage) and would like to send 2 inputs into it. I have a portable CD player and a midi drum pad that I would like to be amplified by my headphone amp. Both devices have their own volume control. Can I take both Left channels and both right channels, wire them together, and plug them into my Szekeres without burning something up? I don't want to use any kind of mixer if I don't have to. I have burned up so much stuff in the past I've come to the point where I ask before experimenting with electricity.
Thank you,
steve

Dec 31, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 6
well the best way to go would be to use a mixer,even if only a single jfet stage.But if you want to go passive then you could use a simple resistor passive mixer.Just be aware that there will be some signal attenuation

Dec 31, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #3 of 6
I second -- use a mixer!

Dec 31, 2001 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 6
depends on the output impedence of your drum pad and cd player plus the actual value of the mixing resistors.
10 K resistors for the mixing matrix are not bad but 4.7 K would be even better PROVIDED the output impedence of your sources are in the range of 50 ohms.
Ideally you want a 10 : 1 match.
But hey,try it out dude,resistors are cheap
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back