can opener or headphone amp?
Jan 27, 2002 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Gray

Head-Fier
For some time i have been using an old pair of senn.250s plugged into a can opener headphone stage linked to my Denson Beat amp.I have recently brought a pair of senn.hd.600s,and they sound sensational through the can opener,but my questions are these;Has anybody out there any experience of the can opener,and am i missing out on further sonic excellence by
keeping the can opener and not investing in a dedicated headphone amp.I would be interested in anyones views,as i am thinking of buying the musical fidelity x cans,as i have heard that this is a good match for the 600s.
For those of you out there who do not know what a can opener is;Its a small black box,about 5 inches by 8 inches with a headphone socket on the front,and two sturdy naim cables out the back,which are plugged into the spare speaker terminals on my Beat amp.When i want to use the can opener,i have to disconnect my main speaker cables,otherwise sound will come through the main speakers.Apart from the fact that it's a bit fiddly,the performance is pretty impressive.I just have this nagging doubt that it could be even better through a proper amp.By the way my source is a Naim cd 3.5.
Anybody with any views,i would be glad to hear them.

Gray.

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I thought this was a joke. Apparently Can Opener exists: http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html

Y'all might want to have a look at the "Speaker Amps for Headphones" thread.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 6
interesting indeed...does the can opener "limits" the power coming out of the amp?
say can it be used for someone with a HE-6 for example..which is asking for power.

I'm actually going to write a review of the can opener after I get it, and I have already spoken to the guy who designed it — inside the box, apparently you'll find some high-quality passive resistors. I'm taking a trip to Rogue Audio next week, to check out the Sphinx hybrid tube/solid state amp. My intention is to audition high-end amps using the Can Opener. It'll be with me for many other factory visits and Hi-Fi shows—if it works as advertised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back