Can not get used to my QC 45, after years with the Koss Porta Pro
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

redmetz

New Head-Fier
Hey, I listen to music for years with the Koss Porta Pro and the Shure SE 215 (unfortunately broken). Now I soon have the opportunity to commute to work by public transport and for this purpose I got myself a pair of new Bose QC 45 for about 160€. You will laugh at me, but I feel like I am locked in a chamber by the headphones, even when I turn on the transparency mode. The music feels the same, also more washed out? although the QC 45 have much more bass than my Porta Pros. Another issue is the headphone noise from the QC 45, is this the case with all NC headphones?

So I wanted to ask if there are more "open" sounding headphones that are suitable for commuting or is that simply the nature of closed headphones. I appreciate any information or even purchase recommendations from you guys!

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 4
You're in Germany? Look into Ultrasone... they make some wide sounding wired closed backs. No transparency mode though, these aren't Bluetooth headphones.

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome.
You will laugh at me, but I feel like I am locked in a chamber by the headphones, even when I turn on the transparency mode. The music feels the same, also more washed out?
Quite normal...had moments like that myself with Bose..
ANC products have varying degrees of what you describe.

If I had to take one thing on a shorter journey it would be a a well sealing IEM.

Oct 5, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 4
For an IEM, the Seeaudio Yume II has a soundstage as expansive as open back headphones. Closed back with decent width and depth have pretty big ear cups for commuting. The Moondrop Kato I think is even better for mids having more presence.
The Sennheiser Momentum 2 or 3 are pretty good too, and all the convenience of wireless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back