Can My Zune Do This?
Jun 9, 2007 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Mr00000

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy everybody

I just recently bought a Zune. I love it! There is only one thing that I have a gripe about - I hate how the music is only viewed by ID tags. I keep my music perfectly organized in folders: Artist\Album\## - track name

Is there any way I can get my Zune to let me browse by folders?

Thanks much,

Mr00000

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 20
Wow that is pretty lame. Almost lame enough to make me want to return it... it is a sweet player, but this is pretty important to me.

Are there any other devices out there, at this level of quality, that can browse folders?

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 20
any player the supports Rockbox firmware will be able to do this:
www.rockbox.com

The iAudio X5(L) (which recently went out of production) is able to do this in its native firmware.

I assume, since you're using a Zune, you need the larger capacity? If not, there a fairly decent amount of flash players that support browsing by folder.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 20
the zune uses ID3 tags on files to view that way. some people do not keep their ID3 tags updated all the time, and are perfectly happy with only using folders to browse through and find their music.

that poses a problem when players only sort with ID3 tags.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 20
Exactly - my files are tagged, but somewhat inconsistently since I just let my ripper tag stuff for me. So, especially in the case of soundtracks and stuff, it will show multiple different selections for Artists - when I just want to browse by folder
frown.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #11 of 20
Actually, this brings up a good idea... Anyone know of a batch tag editor where I could say that the album name is the folder the songs are in, the artist name is the folder just above that?

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 20
Only solution i can suggest then is spending the time to sort them out. Unless you have a mind numbingly large music collection then it shouldn't take too long if you use something like iTunes. Sadly it was what i had to do, because i'd not use ID tags before i got my Zune, and my music collection was arranged perfectly just as yours (for my X5)

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 20
Fix your tags using MP3Tag. Its free and a nice program. You may have to reload all of your files to the Zune folder after they are fixed.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fix your tags using MP3Tag. Its free and a nice program. You may have to reload all of your files to the Zune folder after they are fixed.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

That's what I did, works just fine. The only problem is album arts, they take album name and are all stored in one folder, i.e. if two or more albums have the same name they'll share album art. Not a horrendously big deal, as you can always retag mp3 to make album names unique, but still a nuisance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back