Can my Sennheiser HD650s be damaged if I listen without an amp?
Apr 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

talkingparrot

New Head-Fier
Howdy,

I just entered the hobby and managed to procure a pair of HD650s. I am currently mating them with a Cowon D2+, and I have noticed in some songs, the speakers distort at max volume. Now, sometimes I like that little extra volume and don't really mind the distortion, however I am paranoid that this could cause permanent damage. So my question is, without an amplifier, can I cause damage to my headphones? The last thing I want is to ruin these puppies. In the future I am planning to purchase a Fiio E7 and I'll be good to go
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 23
Well, if headphone drivers are the same as loud speaker drivers, which i suspect they are, if you run yours speakers through a low powered amp, increase the volume until the drivers begin to distort and clip, prolonged periods of distortion/clipping will damage the drivers, however, if your amp is more powerful, you will be able to drive them harder not getting the distortion at the level you had on the lower powered amp, so yes you can damage them through driving them to the point of distortion.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 23
Isn't it the Cowon's amplifier that is distorting? I really don't think the little Cowon can output the voltage level required to drive the HD 650s into distortion...

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by talkingparrot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy,

I just entered the hobby and managed to procure a pair of HD650s. I am currently mating them with a Cowon D2+, and I have noticed in some songs, the speakers distort at max volume. Now, sometimes I like that little extra volume and don't really mind the distortion, however I am paranoid that this could cause permanent damage. So my question is, without an amplifier, can I cause damage to my headphones? The last thing I want is to ruin these puppies. In the future I am planning to purchase a Fiio E7 and I'll be good to go
smily_headphones1.gif

You'll probably want a better amp than the E7, not to mention the source... HD650 has so much more potential than what that setup would give you... but whatever you are satisfied with, I guess.
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 23
From what I read underpowering headphones and speakers will actually destroy it more than overpowering it. But I'm no expert on this subject.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 23
cant say if its true or false but that would mean that atleast 50% of senn 650 users could have damaged their headphones when using them before geting their dedicated desktop amp , not to mention those that do burn in of headphone with connected to a mp3 player

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_equalizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't it the Cowon's amplifier that is distorting? I really don't think the little Cowon can output the voltage level required to drive the HD 650s into distortion...

My question is would that damage the speaker itself?

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll probably want a better amp than the E7, not to mention the source... HD650 has so much more potential than what that setup would give you... but whatever you are satisfied with, I guess.
tongue.gif

If you can direct me to a portable setup that will be in a REASONABLE price range, than hell I'm all ears. My life stlye unfortunately does not let me listen at home. I am a medical student who works overseas, so I'm always on the go.

Universally the Cowon is praised as being the best DAP source for the go.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if headphone drivers are the same as loud speaker drivers, which i suspect they are, if you run yours speakers through a low powered amp, increase the volume until the drivers begin to distort and clip, prolonged periods of distortion/clipping will damage the drivers, however, if your amp is more powerful, you will be able to drive them harder not getting the distortion at the level you had on the lower powered amp, so yes you can damage them through driving them to the point of distortion.

However, they are not like speaker drivers
darthsmile.gif

The mode of damage with distortion and speakers is that most speakers have more than one driver; a tweeter and one or more low frequency drivers. The power is distributed amongst the drivers by a crossover (basically a high power filter network).

The issue is that tweeters are physically small and are not designed to run at high power levels, which is fine with normal music. Distortion (clipping) however pollutes the power spectrum with a *LOT* of high frequency components which are routed to the tweeter by the crossover and can run the tweeter past its rating, burning it out.

Almost all headphones just have a single driver, so this mode of damage cannot happen.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #11 of 23
Anyone want to test this:

Belle Sebastian - Another Sunny Day at 50 on the Cowon D2. In the highest of notes, there is clipping at the very beginning. I am sure its the Cowon thats clipping, I am just hoping that the clipping itself isn't damaging the speakers.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

My question is would that damage the speaker itself?

If you drive any headphone into distortion/clipping, (you said you heard distortion) you will ultimately damage them.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you drive any headphone into distortion/clipping, (you said you heard distortion) you will ultimately damage them.

If you drive the headphones into distortion - i.e. apply so much power that they are past the point beyond which the driver is free to move, yes, you would be likely to damage them. Distorted music will not damage them so long as the power is within the rating of the drivers.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryJW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you drive the headphones into distortion - i.e. apply so much power that they are past the point beyond which the driver is free to move, yes, you would be likely to damage them. Distorted music will not damage them so long as the power is within the rating of the drivers.

So your saying listening to my Senns through my Cowon D2 is Kosher for now
smily_headphones1.gif
. That would give me a huge sigh of relief sir.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

So your saying listening to my Senns through my Cowon D2 is Kosher for now
smily_headphones1.gif
. That would give me a huge sigh of relief sir.

you will be safe to listen to your headphones on anything, however, you will not get the best of them. just remember not to increase the volume further to the point where it begins to distort, if you want more volume, then get another amp that has more power/control over your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back