Can my Sansa Fuze and Clip memory wear out?
Dec 10, 2008 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

planetluvver

New Head-Fier
I was researching microSD memory and came across this statement:

Since many EEPROM devices only allow a finite number of write cycles, some of these cards incorporate wear levelling algorithms to spread the wear and to avoid wearing out specific places which are often written to.

Technology Guide: Flash Memory

Does this mean that I should be careful in the number of times I delete and readd songs from my MP3 player? I am not sure if this statement applies to the memory in my Sansa Fuze and Clip, and if it does whether the finite number of writes is something to be concerned about.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 13
I'd worry about the battery life first. It is non replaceable.

Memories only wear out after thousands of writes.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Typically current flash devices have at least 10000 read/write cycles, some go up as high as 1000000. Your battery will be unusable long before your flash memory gives out from wear.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 13
When replacing the entire contents of a flash player every week, that would make the math:

10,000 write cycles
/
52 weeks
=
192 years

I should own my 100 yottabyte nano by then.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the time it wears, you'll probably either: a) Have a new, higher capacity card or b) Have a new MP3 player.

Exactly. Same thing with the battery. By the time those are significantly "worn out," you probably already bought a newer player.

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 13
This is slightly changing the subject, but I hope the battery is hobbyist-replaceable by snapping open the case and putting in a cheap aftermarket battery when it wears out. iPod batteries can be replaced this way, although the replacements I've seen are not all that cheap.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 13
with this math.....if replace entire content everyday:

10,000 write cycles
/
365 day
=
27 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When replacing the entire contents of a flash player every week, that would make the math:

10,000 write cycles
/
52 weeks
=
192 years

I should own my 100 yottabyte nano by then.

Dec 10, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. Same thing with the battery. By the time those are significantly "worn out," you probably already bought a newer player.

Nope, the fuze is a winner. I am planning to hang on to it for a long time. There are folks still running with Iaudio X5 and Rio Karmas. Luckily for them, they can buy replacement batteries. I hope I can too for the fuze.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Okay, I guess I will swap my music in and out of my player to my heart's content! I also hope that I am able to keep my Fuze and Clip going a long while. Some posts around this board say that lithium battery life is 2 or three years, so I hope the battery is replaceable!

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 13
There will be a source of replacement batteries at the very least on Ebay and other third parties even if Sandisk stops making them. I can still get batteries for my digital camera even though Canon doesn't offer them any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back