can my panasonic portable cd player drive a sennheiser?
Nov 4, 2001 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

younglu

New Head-Fier
i have a old model(SL-S350 of 1996) of a panasonic portable cd player.

i want to choose a sennheiser(or other models) headphone to upgrade the sound quality.

but i wonder if my pana can drive the new headphone?

anyone could you help??
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2001 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 28
It all depends on which Sennheiser phones you want to be driven by your portable. Forget about HD580/600. These need an amp, but cans like HD495, HD25 or Senn buds can be driven by your Pana.

Nov 5, 2001 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 28
thank you for your useful advice,blr

i have just checked out the power output of my pana,which is
5mW max per channel at 16 Ohm impandence.

and i have also found that the Sennheiser HD500 and HD495,HD470(and other HD400 series) are all at 32 Ohm,
but the HD580/HD600 have the much higher of 300 Ohm,

1. is that mean my pana can drive the 32Ohm ones but not the 300 Ohm ones?

2. meanwhile, can my little power of 5mW drive the HD500 or HD495 and drive it WELL?
what's the main difference between hd500 and hd495?

3. i found that the connector of both hd500 and hd495 are 1/8" stereo jack plug with adapter to 1/4" plug ,but my pana is the 3.5mm one which is not adaptable in size. Can i use the new headphone??

thanks a lot of your good advices!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2001 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 28
younglu: go to headphone.com - they'll have lots of explanations on the differences between the Sennheiser phones. Mainly - the general consensus is that the HD-495 is the only listenable phone upto the HD-570 made by Sennheiser right now....all the else are fairly crappy.

the average low-imp. headphone will be driveable.....tho u should consider the sensitivity of the cans as well.

Not to mention the fact that many amp distort when they're providing their maximum output on PCDPs......

Nov 5, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 28
also - the HD495, tho low in impedance, also has a low sensitivity.

To get listenable volume levels WITH bass AND a soundstage, you'll need AT LEAST 10 mw....

Nov 6, 2001 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 28
thanks a lot of you experienced people good advices

but using a amplifier seems very inconvient for you to moving around,though you've got the quality of sound.

if i took using the amplifier with the "portable" cd player,i would rather install a Hi-Fi with loud speaker and amplifier .

And keep seated to enjoy!!!

BTW, you coolvij has really posted very much. a little expert of headphone?

i have found that U2(you two) have both equipped the HD495,is the 495 really a classical?

I will goto test HDs later!!

Nov 6, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 28
how about music taste differences or other main differences between sony cd series and sony mdr-v series??

how about music taste diffs between different headphone bands?
sony,grado,or sennheiser?

Nov 6, 2001 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 28
younglu.
5mW into 16 ohms is not much power at all. I'd say with this power the only Sennheiser phones that will be properly powered are the MX500 earbuds. For full sized cans only the most sensitive ones will be powered by this tiny amp. Perhaps Denon AHD750/950 will work fine. Sony makes a bunch of phones in their Vxxx line that are also easy to power, but they don't sound good.
If you want to stay ampless, get a new PCDP with higher output, something like Panasonic CT470 (9 mW into 32 ohms).

Nov 6, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

i have found that U2(you two) have both equipped the HD495,is the 495 really a classical?

The 495 is just a good, solid performer when amped - in its price range.

And....I don't know how to shut up on-line......

Nov 6, 2001 at 9:03 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

The 495 is just a good, solid performer when amped - in its price range.

And....I don't know how to shut up on-line......

Also - amps are VERY small, the portable ones, that is.

I mean, I hear the TA is the same size as a cassete tape case - my JMT Penguin is about that size......

Nov 7, 2001 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 28
once again, thanks a lot of you warm-hearted guys

portable amp+portable player is a good bright choice.

it's clear , the portable amp or generic amps may just amplify the additional several 10s or more mW into the headphone.

But i still cannot understand why the producer/vendor do not make the portable ones output enough power and so make it truly Portable???

i have took some looks at several amp circuits,they are really simple,tiny and graceful. So, it's not a very difficult mission to integrate this amp circuit into the portable one......right?

Are there any portable ones with 20mw or more output???
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 28
Are you sure your cd player is only 5mw/ch? I thought all the Panasonics that old had at least 10 or 15mw/ch. I heard the SL-S140 and 340 had 20mw/ch. My Sony (1998-1999 model) has 15mw/ch into 32 ohms i think)

Nov 7, 2001 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

But i still cannot understand why the producer/vendor do not make the portable ones output enough power and so make it truly Portable???

They do... if you use efficient headphones. The problem isn't that they don't want to put more powerful headphone jacks on the units. The problem is that battery life is shortened by more powerful headphone outputs.

Nov 7, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by younglu

Are there any portable ones with 20mw or more output???
smily_headphones1.gif

There are several cheap portables from makes such as Lennox Denver etc that still have 15-20 mW@32 ohms per ch.
I guess most of these machines are actually made in China. Look around, you may be able to find one real cheap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back