Can my mini amp be connected to a subwoofer?
Nov 10, 2012 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

duckz

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm a newbie at this stuff, and was wondering whether my Lepai amp http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049P6OTI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i02
could be connected to a subwoofer. I could not find a subout port on it, and hence am asking here. 

I currently have a 2.1 bookshelf speaker setup (am currently in a college single dorm). Thanks for the help!

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 13
If you use a 3.5mm splitter from your computer you can use a 2 sets of 3.5mm to rca connectors to connect your source to the lepai amp and a powered sub at the same time.    That is probably your best option.

3.5mm ______rca=lepai
laptop 3.5mm<3.5mm______rca=Powered sub

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 13
It depends more on whether your sub can be connected to it; meaning, if a sub has provisions for a 2.1 set-up. Some subs have an analog line-level pass-through which is internally split to provide a signal for the sub - so it will be connected between your source and your amp. Most that have such a provision though have analog high level (speaker) inputs for this, and will be between your amp and your amp and speakers, which I think means the amplifier's preamp serves as a master volume control (you just need to set up the gain structure so the sub doesn't get too loud compared to the main speakers when you turn up the amp volume).

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 13
+1 to both the responses above. 

You either need a subwoofer that has (a) a left/right RCA input or (b) speaker level inputs and outputs. Subwoofer (a) would require splitting the audio signal from the source to go to both the Lepai and the sub. Subwoofer (b) would require hooking the speaker out from the Lepai to the sub, then running speaker wires from the sub to the speakers. 

If you are looking for a budget sub, check out the Dayton SUB-1000 or SUB-1200. You can use either method (a) or (b) above to hook it up. 

So did you get your Pioneer speakers yet? How do they sound with the Lepai? 

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
+1 to both the responses above. 

You either need a subwoofer that has (a) a left/right RCA input or (b) speaker level inputs and outputs. Subwoofer (a) would require splitting the audio signal from the source to go to both the Lepai and the sub. Subwoofer (b) would require hooking the speaker out from the Lepai to the sub, then running speaker wires from the sub to the speakers. 

If you are looking for a budget sub, check out the Dayton SUB-1000 or SUB-1200. You can use either method (a) or (b) above to hook it up. 

So did you get your Pioneer speakers yet? How do they sound with the Lepai? 

The mid and treble are pretty good, and the bass is better than my old speakers, but if it gets too low, the bass gets muddled. I got Lepai instead of the receiver you recommended because I realized I wouldn't have space for a receiver close to where I would usually be sitting :/

I was actually thinking of getting http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000092TT0/ref=pe_175820_26639020_pe_epc_dt1  and was wondering how good these subs were, and if I could connect them with method b. Also, for method b, do I need just 1 RCA cable and speaker cable?

Nov 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Good to hear that the speakers are working out pretty well for you. Incidentally, that's why some people go with home audio receivers. Speakers often lose their composure a little at the low end. So the active bass management in a receiver allows for setting a much higher crossover and eliminating the low bass. Just something to keep in mind for the future. 

The PSW505 is considered to be an excellent sub at $200, one of the best values for a 12" sub. 

For method B, if you already have the Lepai connected to your computer, you just need extra speaker wire from there. 

May 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi, I am trying to setup a 2.1 bedroom stereo with some extra speakers I have and a Lepai LP-2020A which I also have but have never used. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated:)

I think my sub is capable of option B though I am unfamiliar as to how that works exactly.

A) iPHONE OR APPLE TV --> 3.5mm split to 1)&2)
1) 3.5 to RCA --> Lepai LP-2020A+ --> 16Ga Speaker Wire --> Klipsch HD1000 5.1(2 SPEAKERS)
2) 3.5 to RCA --> Klipsch HD1000 5.1(SUB)

B)  iPHONE OR APPLE TV --> RCA --> Lepai LP-2020A+ --> 16Ga Speaker Wire --> Klipsch HD1000 5.1(SUB)--> Klipsch HD1000 5.1(2 SPEAKERS)

Which option is best for me? Or if a different variation is better please let me know.

Also is there a switch or splitter that you recommend for easily switching back and forth between the apple tv and the iphone?

Thanks!
This thread seemed to be a very similar question...

May 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 13
Option B would allow you to set the gain (volume) on the back of the sub to match the speakers, and from then on, control the volume with the Lepai. With option A, you need a way to control the volume of the signal going to the sub and Lepai.

May 18, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Ok, thanks for the input.
I think I will be leaving the volume on the sub turned all the way down either way. It is a small bedroom, and this sub is loud even at lowest setting.
So assuming I go with option B, do you guys see any issue?
I think the speakers are 8 Ohm, I read something about this amp might be over worked playing 8 Ohm speakers. Pardon my lack of knowledge of that type of thing.. Is this an issue?
I used to power these with a big denon 5.1 receiver.
Thanks

May 18, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 13
I think the speakers are 8 Ohm, I read something about this amp might be over worked playing 8 Ohm speakers. Pardon my lack of knowledge of that type of thing.. Is this an issue?

Depends on the listening volume. At moderate volumes, it should be fine. If you crank it up so much they are distorting, then you have a problem :)

May 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 13
Awesome thanks again!
So my best bet would be:
1) iphone -> aux 3.5 -> Amp
2) apple tv -> RCA -> Amp

There wont be any issue with playing music from my phone to the amp while the apple tv is still plugged into the amp right?

Also would these speakers be better than my Klipsch ones?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000-4-Inch-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B000OG88KY/ref=pd_bxgy_23_text_z

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-HD1000-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B001R70ZMI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1431973234&sr=1-1&keywords=klipsch+1000

May 18, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 13
Awesome thanks again!
So my best bet would be:
1) iphone -> aux 3.5 -> Amp
2) apple tv -> RCA -> Amp

There wont be any issue with playing music from my phone to the amp while the apple tv is still plugged into the amp right?

I don't know that I would plug them both into the Lepai at the same time. Could be the input is just split between that 3.5mm and RCA jacks. Might fry something if both the apple TV and iphone are both sending signal at the same time.

I don't know. If you want a significant upgrade, I would suggest saving more.

May 19, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 13

8ohms is kind of like a standard for home audio speakers, but 6ohm and 4ohm speakers are out there (and a few 10ohm speakers). In any case, you're more likely to run into an amp that would have a problem driving 4ohm loads than 8ohm loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back