Can my iBasso D3 run a pair of HD600s?
Feb 27, 2009 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

twmrussen

Head-Fier
I have a ibasso d3 amp for my shure se530 IEMs. Now i have caught the bug
atsmile.gif
and I am looking for a pair of headphones, the Sennheiser HD600, but I am concerned that my amp will not do them justice. Will my amp be able to run them and if not do you know of any headphones that run well with this amp? Thanks.

Feb 27, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, as u suppose yet, it will be able to drive them. But well, "be able to" is few specific.
If you have no other amp and you use your ipod or your PC as source, of course the D3 is a very good improvement using de HD600s, but it wont really take out all the juice of them. A desktop amp is required for that (or a soooo expensive portable one, then you can get the same results spending less if you buy a desktop amp, because HD600s are not portable).

I had a D2 Boa, so i cant suggest you any headphone which have special synergy with D3, but searching at the forums i think you will find something.

If you like your shures and D3 but you like a better headphones for your house, and size doesnt matter, go then to the HD600s or something similar. If you have no more budget at the moment, you will enjoooooy much your HD600s + D3 combo. But in the future, if you save some money and you can buy too a desktop amp, then you will improve more your sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Generally speaking, for a good headphones like HD600, Beyers or AKGs in this price range, always its required a good desktop amp to really take out their max. But this doesn't mean you wont love the sound of HD600+D3.

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 5
yes it will run them; but so will your ipod with no external amp at all. it will not go anywhere near their potential; but as the above poster said it will do for now. there are a couple of portables that do a good job; my lisa III being one; but probably still not to their potential. if you want some fullsize cans that are easily driven by a portable amp, try D2000 or D5000 from denon that are quite easy to drive and will sound very good out of your D3 IMO. both are only 25ohms if I remember the numbers right

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by twmrussen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice. Qusp, do you think that the HD600s will sound better than a pair of Denon D2000, both with the d3 amp?

That's a tough one - the HD600 will sound more neutral and transparent, but they will not play as loud on the D3 nor have the bass punch that the D3 with D2000 will have. If you like it loud with rockin bass (trance, rock, metal), pick the D2000. If you want accurate and open and transparent but at more normal volumes (jazz, classical, acoustic, vocal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back