can mustang P-51 drives a HD650/600?
Nov 7, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #16 of 19
Proper driving of a pair of cans is not only about getting good volume. It's also about getting good dynamics and sound control. I don't use my P-51 Mustang with any of my full-sized cans. Not after using non-portable amps that send fast and good power to them. The difference is quite significant. I say this since a P-51 Mustang isn't a cheap amp and anyone who has one should be able to get a decently powered non-portable to drive the HD-650's to sound the way they were meant to.

OTOH, I do like the P-51 Mustang in a portable setup and it certainly improves a lot the dynamics and punch of my AT-H ESW9A's.

So, yes, you'll get good volume, but not the sort of sound the HD650's are truly capable of.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #17 of 19
Just a quick note~ got my P-51, it works perfect with low/mid impedance phones and IEMs..but it cannot control HD6xx, AKG sextetts etc..hiss at 12:00 volume ^ ^ Not disappointed though, real powerful for its size. great portable amp!
redface.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by reinhard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Mustang drive AKG K702s well? As I understand it, they are rated at 62 ohms with 105 dB/V sensitivity.

Depends on if you want volume or volume with nicely improved dynamics, attack and punch.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Only so much that a small portable unit will offer. I have to admit though that for such a small unit it's pretty amazing what it'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back