Can MP3s sound better than original CDs?
Jul 4, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
In digitizing from CD, the timing information is stripped. If the CD was poorly made, the reclocking (and absence of error correction) done by ripping to mp3 could possibly make up for the sound loss due to the sampling. I have no idea if this is so, but in theory it is possible.

I second this. Maybe you are eliminating the famous jitter distortion. Actually, I found some of my CDR copies better than the original ones and even more with CDRW, dont ask me why.

Jul 4, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 20
Another option, not pertaining to the original post, but to computer-based DBTs: It could be that the original encoding program pulled information through the digital IDE or SPDIF jacks on the CDROM, while the CD-playing program is pulling information through the analog CD audio jack on the CDROM, therefore using the CDROM's crappy 8-12 bit DAC.

Jul 4, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
Another option, not pertaining to the original post, but to computer-based DBTs: It could be that the original encoding program pulled information through the digital IDE or SPDIF jacks on the CDROM, while the CD-playing program is pulling information through the analog CD audio jack on the CDROM, therefore using the CDROM's crappy 8-12 bit DAC.

Do any of you guys still connect that audio cable between the CDROM drive and the soundcard?

Jul 4, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 20
No
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back