Can mid-fi be too good?
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

new reformation

100+ Head-Fier
Like most folks here I am considering what path I may take to upgrade my rig to provide a superior listening experience.  My current daily rig is an iPod classic sending apple lossless files to my NAD HP50's.  I am extremely satisfied with the capability of my very simple rig, yet as I attempt to plan an upgrade path I am beginning to think that my current setup is so good that I am rushing towards the wall of diminishing returns at dangerous speed.  

A desktop setup comprised of an ODAC ---> Bottlehead Crack ---> HD650  would cost approximately $850.00.  While I am not so naive to think that my current rig would actually be better, I am somewhat nervous as to how much of an improvement it will be for that high of a cost.

Tyll at InnerFidelity has said, "The HD600 is an excellent headphone, and will respond very well to an increasingly good front end and amp before it. Resolution and finesse will be superior to the HP50. But, the HP50 will have a somewhat better tonal character overall---punchier bass, a bit more lively---relative to the more laid back sound of the 600. It doesn't seem to improve as much with better front ends, and will likely be more pleasurable directly out of a smartphone."  

I am not left with the feeling that my conceived desktop rig would be a audio-revelation 
basshead.gif
... and for that much cash, that is what I want it to be.

Has my choice in mid-fi stunted my upgrade path and doomed me to future disappointment?  Has anyone else here felt the same as they looked for what the next step will be for their rig?

Jun 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Your rig is a portable and closed type, it's not the same as a home rig/open type.
I don't really see it as an upgrade path since usually most head-fiers will have both a portable rig and home rig.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the comment Levanter.

My point is that mid-fi has progressed so much in recent years that for me to obtain a substantial upgrade means I have to invest a LOT of money. 

I absolutely DO desire a home-rig, not just to add comfort and permanence but also to notably increase SQ.  I know there is something to be gained by building a setup that incorporates a HP like the HD650's , but am I underestimating just how superior it will be to my mobile rig? If the overall effect after buying a ton of gear is relatively minor it is going to hurt just a bit more than it otherwise would.  

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Only you can decide that. You'll have to demo for yourself. I consider my stuff mid tier and enjoy them immensely. The only more costly gear I want to try is the Oppo PM-2 when its released.

You can't go wrong with a Sennheiser mid tier IMO. HD650 I had was excellent. Audition of HD598 impressed me. HD600 I would expect to be wonderful.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 8
  Like most folks here I am considering what path I may take to upgrade my rig to provide a superior listening experience.  My current daily rig is an iPod classic sending apple lossless files to my NAD HP50's.  I am extremely satisfied with the capability of my very simple rig, yet as I attempt to plan an upgrade path I am beginning to think that my current setup is so good that I am rushing towards the wall of diminishing returns at dangerous speed.  

A desktop setup comprised of an ODAC ---> Bottlehead Crack ---> HD650  would cost approximately $850.00.  While I am not so naive to think that my current rig would actually be better, I am somewhat nervous as to how much of an improvement it will be for that high of a cost.

IMHO, that would still be a mid-fi rig, and at the same time a SIGNIFICANT step up from what you currently have. It may be towards the higher end of mid-fi, but some headphones cost 4 figures alone (not to mention hi-end amps & such), so a complete rig under 1K to me is still mid-fi. That said, your performance to price ratio on that rig would be HUGE, and many would be satisfied with that setup for years. 

I guess in answer to your real question, I think you still have a ways to go before hitting that 'law of diminishing returns' level. Of course, you don't have to spend top dollar to get a lot out of this hobby. If you shop around and wait for sales, or are willing to buy used, there are some amazing bargains to be had. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Crack with Speedball mod + HD 650's are said to be a match made in heaven. I think upgrading from your current rig to them, you will notice a significant increase in sound quality. After that combination though, the wall of diminishing returns probably hits hard.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 8
Crack with Speedball mod + HD 650's are said to be a match made in heaven. I think upgrading from your current rig to them, you will notice a significant increase in sound quality. After that combination though, the wall of diminishing returns probably hits hard

+1. I have the Crack with Speedball and I can confirm that it works superbly with the Sennheiser HD 650 AND 800 (just FYI). I further modded the Crack by replacing one of the resistors with a choke. Just make sure you have a good DAC.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 8
The only factor that seems to determine if a product is hi-fi or mid-fi in people's perception is price, not sound quality.
And since sound isn't usually correlated with price, the whole low/mid/hi-fi talk is quite obsolete and only useful for bragging.

What was considered high-end in the past, like HD600, is now considered mid-fi, even though it blows a lot of overpriced "high-end" stuff out of the water. The only reason it's suddenly become mid-fi, is because the price of headphones has  been rising steadily, to the point where people don't instantly burst out laughing when they see some headphones cost over 1000 dollars.

Headphones like the HD600 are still from the time when high end headphones were still sensibly priced. Fortunately, after all these years, HD600 is still in production, but obviously it would be strange and perceived as a rip off if it would suddenly be priced higher than it was when it first came out to match the price of newer high-end stuff, so in comparison to other high end cans, they seem low priced. It doesn't mean that they won't compete in the sound quality, though.

Audio quality hasn't changed much (if any), only the price you have to pay for it has.

I can't help but notice that this change has gotten a huge boost by Beats by Dre.
After all, once the Beats became popular, it became normal for low-end cans to cost as much as HD600, K701, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back