Can loud static damage headphones?
Feb 18, 2004 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
I've got an RME digi96/8 PAD, and every once in a while (particularly when I try to play movies through it) the sound goes to static and at full blast. And it's really f-in loud. I stop it within a few seconds, but Im wondering if a few seconds of really loud static from time to time can damage a pair of senn650's easily?

Feb 18, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 3
That is a good question. I would assume that if it is an accurate reproduction of the sound that it should be fine. What I mean is that it is the static making the poor sound and not the headphones actually distorting from being overdriven. AFAIK the cans won't know the difference between static and music. I could be wrong though, it is just my thoughts. As long as it isn't outside of the rated freq response (like a 5Hz tone) or something it shouldn't damage it though I wouldn't make it a common practice.

Of course overdriving a speaker with dirty sound is much worse than overdriving it with clean sound.

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 3
Its definitely dirty sound. It's a result of the RME's bad drivers. It goes to pure static at it's highest volume, and the only way to stop it is to move the volume bar in the rme control panel after stopping the source (the static continues until the volume is changed though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back