Can it be that my MF M1DAC (Balanced) sounds better then my 2Qute (Unbalanced) when I use SMS-200 as source?
Nov 23, 2017 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

elgringo81

New Head-Fier
I am having a dilemma while I am auditioning SoTM SMS-200. I have yet you desite if I should invest in this sexy box

I have to admit that I maybe don't have the best set of ears in the business. I am 35 years old and I can hear up to 14500Hz. I clean my ears regularly, just like the rest of you I believe :)
I dont want to start a flame war, If possible, I would really appreciate honest assistance and explanations on my situation.

Let me get straight to the point.

My old and faithful Musical Fidelity M1DAC (A) in balanced is sounding better to my ears then my Chord 2Qute unbalanced.

Roon ROCK. Music is on a QNAP NAS
These are the headphones that I have tested: HD800S, HD650, DT1770Pro

Source = Any, lets focus on 24/192 FLAC >
Unbalanced: SoTM SMS-200 > USB > 2Qute (2015) >RCA> Sennheiser HDVA 600

Source = Any, lets focus on 24/192 FLAC>
Balanced: DietPi / Roon Bridge on PR2b > USB > VLink 192 > MF M1DAC (2011) >XLR> Sennheiser HDVA 600

Conclusion: To me there is not auditable difference in sound quality. I cannot tell the difference. I swap between balanced and unbalanced on the HDVA600 so it’s easy to compare.

Here is the strange part.

If I connect the SoTM SMS-200 > Vlink 192 > M1DAC >XLR> Sennheiser HDVA 600.

This does sound much better then the 2Qute running from the Rasberry Pi (DietPi Roon Bridge). I have not been able to A/B test 2Qute vs M1DAC from SoTM SMS-200 but I am pretty sure that M1DAC (balanced) sounds better from it then 2Qute (Unbalanced)

This makes me want to sell my Chord 2Qute. Maybe I should start looking for a modern balanced DAC.
Any recommendations there in the price range of 1000 GBP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back