Can iPod Classic 6th gen (2nd revision) drives an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 well?
Jan 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jchan

New Head-Fier
I have M50 and planning to upgrade from iPod shuffle to the latest iPod Classic. I did research and only found general terms like "iPods can drive M50", but no specific unit. Some says some iPod underpowers the M50, like the 6th and 7th gens of Nanos (is this true?).
My 4th gen ipod shuffle powers the m50 well. I don't have an amp btw and no plans in getting one.

Just a little bit confused here. =)

and

Is the "iPod Classic 6th gen revision 2" is called the 7th gen?

Thanks in advance for the help Head-Fi community!! =D

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 10
You won't have any problems driving low impedance and high sensitivity headphones like ATH-M50 with an iPod.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 10
why dont you consider buying a DAP such as, fiio X3?!

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 10
I have G3 ipod that I bought in 2006. I would go for a DAP considering the FLAC playback support and sound quality. DAP gives better sound quality without amp. However, an ipod may need an amp.

Moreover, fiio x3 is a budget DAP. There are many other DAPs available such as HM 901. Spend sometime to read the reviews of different DAPs and then decide.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 10
I've just read the features and specs of the x3, and whoa!! i can't understand most of it. haha! these may take a while to learn those terms, but all i can hear/read are good stuffs about the x3. =D i just wish it can support 2 64gb micro sd card or larger capacity and longer battery life like the iPod classic..

I know itunes don't support .flac and other lossless formats like x3 would but does this formats is better than the itune's .aiff format?

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #9 of 10
AIFF, WAV, FLAC, and ALAC are all the same. FLAC and ALAC are the compressed versions, but they are all lossless.

You can also look at the X5 for 2x 64gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back