Can Ipod (5.5 Generation) handle lossless high-definition Audio?
Nov 25, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 23
Apple Lossless is your best bet without Rockboxin' it. I've had issues with it but it's still the way to go. One of the issues was songs skipped after playing for 2-3 seconds. Some say it's the buffer being too full or a harddisk issue. But it pissed me off enough to just give up. Upgraded the sound card on my PC instead to listen to these music files instead.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #17 of 23
Sorry to drag up an old thread guys but I've done some experimenting.

Itunes will playback and convert all 24bit material to apple lossless, i.e. sampling rates of: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 and 192khz.

Ipod will playback 44.1khz and 48khz 24bit.

Wheather or not the ipod dithers down to 16 bits (or simply discards 8 bits) for playback, I'm not sure. I seem to remember reading somewhere that iPod does have a 24bit DAC inside so it may infact playback at full resolution. Can anyone confirm?

Also 192khz and 96khz sampling rate can be converted nicely to 48khz, and 88.2khz can be converted nicely to 44.1khz, for playback on iPod.

I have found that the 24bit sample size is what makes high res sound so much nicer than CD, while increasing the sampling rate beyond 48khz does not add any more fidelity to these ears.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #18 of 23
my apple lossless files play on rockbox for me... Is it supposed to?

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my apple lossless files play on rockbox for me... Is it supposed to?

Yes, it is. Among lossless codecs, Rockbox plays both ALAC and FLAC, as well as WavPack, Shorten, and Monkey's Audio; Apple's firmware plays only ALAC.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 23
Forget 24bit, it will fill up your drive and give you no benefit whasoever. The iPod may say it has a 24bit converter but in reality it does not output 24bit resolution, infact no DAC on the market can output 24bit resolution and even if it could you would not be able to hear the lower noise floor it provides without cranking the volume so high you would put yourself in hospital. As far as the consumer is concerned, 24bit will give you absolutely nothing more than 16bit and unless you have a top class recording studio, you won't even be able to appreciate the full dynamic range offered by 16bit.

Apr 6, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #21 of 23
i find rockbox to be a breath of fresh air for my ipod. it allows me to drag and drop music and the ability to customize my backdrop and so many other options.

I'm really digging the Flacs too.. my goal is to fill my 30 gig ipod to it's fullest. i might need to get an 80gig video soon..haha

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #22 of 23
i would totally go with rockbox for my 5th gen 30gb iPod, but is it supported by any kind of last.fm scrobbler? I love that system and don't want to give it up.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would totally go with rockbox for my 5th gen 30gb iPod, but is it supported by any kind of last.fm scrobbler? I love that system and don't want to give it up.

Yes, I use qtscrobbler... You need to turn on last.fn log making though.

I used rockbox and wavpack myself. Very pleased with this combination. Sadly my ipod fell and crappily enough ipod 160gb classics cant be rockboxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back