Can interconnect cables be too short?
Mar 14, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 20
when the high pulses (1's) start getting stuck in small or bent cables, this causes the data to get backed up for a period. Eventually the electrical flux pressure builds up, and all the data gets released at once. This causes the "jitter" that is often mentioned around here, and may result in a catastrophic buffer overflow in the receiving device. To prevent this, many people use teflon-insulated cables and easily bendable metals (like gold) in their interconnections. Also, this data backup will often occur in brand-new equipment. Depending on the materials used, the new components will take a short while to "burn-in" while the hard pulses smooth out the signal path.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 20
The 1's are male and the 0's are female.

1's move quick enough, but sometimes get lost along the way. Fortunately the cable is a straight shot, much like a freeway, so no problem there. Once inside the digital to analog converter, they may take a wrong turn and end up at the wrong location. Being male, the 1's don't ask directions and remain lost until they find their favorite watering hole in the amp, "The Bit Bucket". Once there, they never leave and the bits are lost forever.

0's don't get lost, but are on a cell phone the entire time they are moving to the digital to analog converter. They aren't concerned about arriving on time, and are often late. Since the converter can't use them becasue they are out of sequence, they are also sent to "The Bit Bucket" and serve wings and beer to the 1s.

So by keeping my cables short, I'll keep the party on the outside of my equipment and not on the inside.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #18 of 20
No such thing as "too short" interconnect. Having said that, comparing an interconnect to the same design half its length (DIY or commercial) doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference. 4x, 5x the length, hmm.

I've gone to extremes before and have connected 2 components with those male to male RCA adapters. The 2 components happened to have the standard same spacing for L and R RCA jacks. Obviously, one component was facing backwards. This was the best sound I got, sounding better than even $1000+ interconnects I had on hand.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 20
LOL... the 1's and 0's jokes are great.
biggrin.gif

However, I have read some theories at Empiracle Audio where Steve Nugent states that for a digital cable 1.5 m is optimal. The guys [and gal] at UHF [a credible canadian audio magazine] tried out 4 digital cables... two types each at lengths of 1m and 1.5m

The 1.5m cables were preferred universaly for both types.

Food for thought anyways.
wink.gif

PS. For analog cables I would thing the shorter the better as long as the cable has a uniform impedance.

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
However, I have read some theories at Empiracle Audio where Steve Nugent states that for a digital cable 1.5 m is optimal. The guys [and gal] at UHF [a credible canadian audio magazine] tried out 4 digital cables... two types each at lengths of 1m and 1.5m

The 1.5m cables were preferred universaly for both types.

Food for thought anyways.
wink.gif

It works that the longer cables attenuation masks over the jitter, and word has it that about 3m is a good length to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Back