Can IEMs sound as airy and open as over ear headphones?
Jun 18, 2016 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DivineCurrent

500+ Head-Fier
I know there's been a few threads with this question, but mine is more specific. I recently bought the Klipsch X20i, and while they are general extremely impressive, they lack the kind of airy sound or clarity many over ear heapdhones have. Specifically compared to my Sennheiser HD 650s, the X20i doesn't give the extra clarity in cymbals and metallic instruments I am used to with the 650s. Is this a problem with other IEMs as well? I have only tried 2 other Iems: Klipsch X10 and Shure SE-425, but I do not remember if they had this same subdued clarity in the high end. Are there IEMs out there that give the impression of listening to open back headphones? And another question, does the driver type have a big impact on this, balanced armature and dynamic?

Jun 18, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 9
No. The EX-1000, for example, has an incredible soundstage. The Tenore is very open as well. 

Others might have many more examples, too tired right now honestly haha and just wanted to say that IEM's can CERTAINLY have massive soundstages.

Jun 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 9
No. The EX-1000, for example, has an incredible soundstage. The Tenore is very open as well. 

Others might have many more examples, too tired right now honestly haha and just wanted to say that IEM's can CERTAINLY have massive soundstages.

Thanks for the input! I knew Sony iems were good, just never had the chance to try them. How would you say they compare to open over ear headphones in terms of being airy and open?

Jun 18, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 9
...and someone can surely correct me here..but...

Yes,, IEM's can have very similar open and airiness as much as headphones but it will most likely be with a dynamic driver.   Hell...there were posters arguing about how Senn IE800 sounded better than HD800.

I don't have a lot of  experience with hi-end headphones but have heard many dynamic IEM's.  I'll point again to the IE800.  FREAKISH soundstage, openess and clarity.  You just have to try it.

I assume there are others out there that do an equally good job.

Just keep in mind you may pay at least double or triple the $$ to achieve that same headphone experience because the engineering is 5-fold more complicated and expensive with portable audio/IEM's.  IE800 is a freak, period.   I wish it stayed in my ears better during active listening or my search wouls have been done.

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, I heard the IE800 has incredible soundstage and openess. However, i definitely do not have the budget for that. Im thinking of switching to closed back, since ill probably get better sound for less money than if I were to spend more on an IEM. Ive only tried 1 high quality closed can, the Shure SRH -940, but that was a little bright for my taste.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 9

Jun 20, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 9
This is hard to explain, they have black tube and red tube. red is about 2mm longer.

According to different ear canal length soundwaves travels differently. There are 2 drivers inside which is back facing each other. 1 supposed to send sound through the tube. the other send direct.

From what I read, is the back facing driver will send a slower wave to the front using the tube. It will amplify certain soundwave and cancel out some wavelength of the driver which direct sounds to your ears.

So it can achieve better sound.

I think you can read below for more information on the tube.

http://ocharaku.jp/sound/technology_english/

http://jyrab.blogspot.sg/?view=classic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back