Can IEMs cause more damage to ears? (not the music itself)
Oct 17, 2008 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GN85

100+ Head-Fier
I know that IEMs isolate sound, making it possible to listen to music at a lower volume. However, great isolation also means that it creates an airtight seal, which can create pretty loud sounds and shifts in air pressure. Things that can cause these are coughing, sneezing, crunching something (like candy) with your teeth, accidentally tapping your IEMs, running, etc.

Is this something that I should worry about?

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 8
decibels are decibels.

If IEM's cause damage, the 4 years I've been in the field of work that requires me to wear ear plugs for more than 8 hours a day, I'd be deaf by now.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RTTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
decibels are decibels.

If IEM's cause damage, the 4 years I've been in the field of work that requires me to wear ear plugs for more than 8 hours a day, I'd be deaf by now.

But ear plugs are just foam aren't they? If you have a pair of IEMs, while wearing them, try tapping them (gently) with the tip of your nail. It's pretty damn loud isn't it?

jinx I think you misunderstood, I'm not talking about the sound emitted by the earphones, I'm talking about sound or pressure produced by the airtight seal resulting from some motion or contact.

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by GN85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But ear plugs are just foam aren't they? If you have a pair of IEMs, while wearing them, try tapping them (gently) with the tip of your nail. It's pretty damn loud isn't it?

jinx I think you misunderstood, I'm not talking about the sound emitted by the earphones, I'm talking about sound or pressure produced by the airtight seal resulting from some motion or contact.

oh i see, im with you now, no i dont think the air pressure will cause damage, i believe that the ear canal is not air tight and air can actually pass through your ear drum harmlessly, i know it sounds stupid so dnt mark my words on that but i do believe this is the case

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandnewgame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that you mention it, it does feel air tight..

there is a couple of bends in your ear canal and you should not be able to touch your eardrum, if you can, i advise a doctor appointment
redface.gif

i would imagine your eardrum is like your skin, porous. absorbing moisture and air. although porous is a strong word and if your eardrum is porous then its very very mildly absorbing

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 8
Your inner ear is not airtight There are eustacion tubes running into the back of your throat. Plug your nose and close your mouth and try to blow. you'll feel the pressure change "popping" in your ears. Now that being said. When I first got Custom molded monitors, I did notice that for the first few minutes I put them in my ears, the pressure change made me feel a bit nauseous but it subsided quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back