Can I use the Xonar U7 to drive speakers?
Oct 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sa_ill

Head-Fier
So I just got the external Asus Xonar U7 DAC.

I know this thing drives headphones, but how will they perform if I get good speakers and drive them through the U7.

Also, internally I have the Xonar DX.
Which would better drive speakers, the DX or the U7.

Oct 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 6
You can use the Xonar U7 with active (powered) speakers, or with an external speaker amplifier. Of course, it cannot drive passive speakers without an amplifier, and the DX cannot either.

Either the Xonar DX or U7 could work fine (the U7 is basically an external DX with slightly lower DAC specs, lower line input/output voltage, and a basic headphone amplifier). If you already have the DX and the speakers, and the combination works without any problems (interference/ground loop in particular), then the U7 would not really make much of a difference. But it would be useful to fix interference issues (using a USB isolator if necessary) if you have any with the DX. It also has RCA line out jacks, and a volume knob, which you may find more convenient to use than a software volume control.

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 6
That answered all my questions. Thanks!

On another note, I'm looking for upgrade my current desktop 2.1 speakers (they're cheap ones) with some good active speakers. (budget: not more than $200)

My main purpose is crystal clear music and gaming, what do you think will suit me, and one that I can pair with the DX and later with the Essence STX.

Oct 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 6
Know that with a $200 budget, you really aren't getting into "good active speakers." But I do think you can improve upon cheap 2.1 computer speakers :)

These Monoprice studio monitors have gotten good reviews.

If you can up your budget, the Rokkit 6 G2 version are currently on closeout pricing because of the new G3 version.

I would also consider the Cambridge Audio S30. The Cambridge S30s were a great buy in a passive speaker at their previous price of around $225. They are on closeout because Cambridge has changed their speaker line. These are a little more colored in sound than studio monitors, but they do have excellent SQ for the price. A little bit cheaper passive speaker with excellent sound is the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR. With either of these speakers you would need an amp. The Lepai TA2020 (check Amazon) works well for the price. Or for better build quality and bit better SQ, the Indeed TA2020. For a bit more power, the Indeed TA2021 or Topping TP21.

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 6
You say the Cambridge S30s, so that means they do require an amp right?
The reason I asked for active speakers is because I do not want to spend on an amp.

Having said that, your options are too tempting, and have made me contemplate getting an amp . But I'm in the fear of the unknown as I do not know how much it would cost me.

*and*

Whether the sound quality will actually be worthy.

(PS: Please dont mind my n00b questions)

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 6
You say the Cambridge S30s, so that means they do require an amp right?
The reason I asked for active speakers is because I do not want to spend on an amp.

If you buy powered speakers, you are buying an amp of some type. It's just worked into the price and built into the speakers :)

Having said that, your options are too tempting, and have made me contemplate getting an amp . But I'm in the fear of the unknown as I do not know how much it would cost me.

I listed some t-amps ??? :confused:

Whether the sound quality will actually be worthy.

I think so, but someone else might disagree. Speaker preference is very listener dependent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back