Can I use the iPod USB data transfer cable for my LOD?
Nov 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ckaz

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if I can use the data transfer USB cable to make my iPod LOD. If so, how do I go about separating the connector from the cable?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 19
I guess not. USB cables have usually 4 wires: power + and - and USB data + nad -. Some dock connectors have only contacts needed for these 4 signals and others left out. You can buy cheap (and maybe better) dock connectors from ridax.se or qables.
--
het.s

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks for the replies

Using some pylers and a bit of blunt force I managed to get into the apple connector. After some close examination, I decided that as a first time cable DIY'er, this wasn't the best course of action. I went to put it back together, but then realized that it was lying in pieces right in front of me. I ended up getting caught up, and in reality that 'little bit' of blunt force turned into 'quite a bit' of blunt force.

Anyways, I'm thinking I'll buy a connector off qables. Just as a few questions (it seems I've got the creator of the LOD here, so I might as well take advantage of the situation)

Can I use this 3.5mm plug and still follow this ( http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/405383/video-tutorial-how-to-make-a-small-ipod-lod ) tutorial?

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 19
Thanks for those links, I'm def going to use the guide you provided as it looks quite nice.

I have the ipod nano 5th gen, will I need to change the pin configuration at all?

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 19
Bump?

I suppose I'll be needing a resistor cause my ipod is the 5th gen nano. Exactly what kind of resistor is needed, and in which pins do I insert it?

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #10 of 19
I don't need to charge my ipod with the LOD. All I want is to send a line out signal.

So, if I understood that correctly, I only need a resistor with the 5th gen iPod nano if I intend to charge with the LOD? Otherwise, the resistor isn't necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back