Can I use the DAC in a Peachtree iNova with the Schiit Lyr?
Aug 12, 2014 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

babyryoga

New Head-Fier
I currently have a Peachtree iNova driving some bookshelf speakers, connected via usb to my PC. I also have a Schiit Lyr, which is simply plugged into the headphone out jack of the same PC's Xonar D2 card. I have been trying to figure out a way to use the same USB connection from the PC to go from the iNova to the Lyr so I can get better sound.

The iNova has a pre-out, a line-out, and a headphone jack which uses it's own (weak) headphone amp. Connecting the pre-out to the in on the Lyr still sends the signal to the bookshelf speakers, rather than the headphones, and there is no way to turn off the speakers as far as I know without disconnecting them from the iNova. I'm afraid to try the line-out for fear that it might damage something. Is there any way I can do this? 

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 7

Connecting the pre-out to the in on the Lyr still sends the signal to the bookshelf speakers, rather than the headphones, and there is no way to turn off the speakers as far as I know without disconnecting them from the iNova.

I think it was made that way without some kind of auto select circuit as they thought you would either use it to directly power speakers, or to send a preamped signal (one that goes through a potentiometer so you can control the volume) into a speaker power amp (that has no preamp stage/potentiometer). As to why that is, what are the chances that someone would have two sets of speakers on the same amp?

Quote:

I'm afraid to try the line-out for fear that it might damage something. Is there any way I can do this? 

Why are you afraid? If you had an iPod, you'd connect the Lyr using an LOD, or Line Out Dock cable. If you had a Fiio X3 or X5, Ibasso DX50 or DX90, etc, you would use the port labelled "Line Out" instead of the one labelled "Headphone," which aside from having a volume controlled (like a potentiometer, but on these it might be at the digital level) output, also goes through an amplifier chip/circuit, which can be at a much higher voltage and already producing distortion. If you look at the back of some older CDPs like the Marantz CD60 and CD80, you hook up a speaker power amp (with no preamp stage/potentiometer) into its Variable output (goes through a potentiometer in the CDP, like the preamp on the iNova), then you hook up an integrated amp (a speaker amp that has its own preamp stage/potentiometer) or a headphone amp in the Fixed (level) output, which is another word for "Line Out."

Basically what I'm saying is: who gave you the idea that the line out was a dangerous output to send a signal into the input on an amplifier? It's more problematic to use the preamp output for example because then you'd have two potentiometers in the same signal chain, since you'd have two separate points controlling the volume. Just make sure the other set is a line out and not a line in.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 7

Why are you afraid? If you had an iPod, you'd connect the Lyr using an LOD, or Line Out Dock cable. If you had a Fiio X3 or X5, Ibasso DX50 or DX90, etc, you would use the port labelled "Line Out" instead of the one labelled "Headphone," which aside from having a volume controlled (like a potentiometer, but on these it might be at the digital level) output, also goes through an amplifier chip/circuit, which can be at a much higher voltage and already producing distortion. If you look at the back of some older CDPs like the Marantz CD60 and CD80, you hook up a speaker power amp (with no preamp stage/potentiometer) into its Variable output (goes through a potentiometer in the CDP, like the preamp on the iNova), then you hook up an integrated amp (a speaker amp that has its own preamp stage/potentiometer) or a headphone amp in the Fixed (level) output, which is another word for "Line Out."

Basically what I'm saying is: who gave you the idea that the line out was a dangerous output to send a signal into the input on an amplifier? It's more problematic to use the preamp output for example because then you'd have two potentiometers in the same signal chain, since you'd have two separate points controlling the volume. Just make sure the other set is a line out and not a line in.

Well, the Peachtree manual specifically mentions to be careful of connecting the Line Out directly to the inputs of another power amp, at risk of damaging any component in the mix. I'm too new and uninformed to know if that applies to a unit like the Lyr which is a headphone amp. Thanks for the detailed explanations, btw. I will mess around with it more later when I get home, and try the Line Out. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 7
babyryoga,  don't worry about it.  Despite the peachtree manual's poor explanation, you have nothing to fear here so long as you exercise good practice.  So do this:

1) Set the volume control on the Peachtree down to zero
2) Set the volume control of your Lyr down to zero
3) Power down both units
4) Connect Peachtree line out to Lyr input
5) Power on Peachtree
6) Power on Lyr
7) Play music from computer into Peachtree
8) Plug headphones into Lyr
9) Slowly raise Lyr volume until adequate listening level

The Lyr should essentially behave as it usually does, with volume level being effective in much the same way it is when you have it plugged into your headphone out jack from your computer card since it is probably a fairly low output headphone amp (The Xonar, not the Lyr).  In many cases, Line Out is close to the same as a variable or pre out that is driven at full volume, but not always.  Typically, the line out is a cleaner and most appropriately signal to run into an integrated amp, which is essentially what the Lyr is.  The reason for the Peachtree warning is so that you don't go directly into a power amp that has no variable gain stage to limit the signal.  The Lyr is not a power amp, it is an integrated amp with a pre and power gain stages.

General rule of thumb... if your device has a fixed line output level, plug it into a preamp or integrated amp.  If your device has a variable output, plug directly into a power amp.  If you plug your variable output device into another preamp or integrated amp, as you do now with your computer card and Lyr, be careful as one can over drive the other and be advised that this is rarely if ever a quality signal chain.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 7
The reason peachtree put in that warning is if the amplifier volume control is set to max when connected to a line signal (and if that amp is really powerful), then there could be damage to attached speakers or headphones. but that would be due to the amplifier volume being set too high.

also, there’s a risk that someone would mistakenly connect a source line signal to a speaker power amp - an amp that has zero volume control - and that would lead to very high volumes. but that would be rare since people buying independent power amps likely know they need a preamp, too.

so, like the others mentioned. just turn off the lyr when plugging in the peachtree and turn up the lyr volume till you get the level you want.

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the more detailed explanations everyone. I'm always careful to have volume knobs turned all the way down when i'm plugging anything in, but I still wasn't sure. It seems like the combo works pretty well through the line-out, i'll have to do some heavy listening later on. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 7

Well, the Peachtree manual specifically mentions to be careful of connecting the Line Out directly to the inputs of another power amp, at risk of damaging any component in the mix. I'm too new and uninformed to know if that applies to a unit like the Lyr which is a headphone amp. Thanks for the detailed explanations, btw. I will mess around with it more later when I get home, and try the Line Out. 

I made the disctinctions in my previous post, but just to expound further, the reason why they caution against using it against a power amp is because a power amp is just that, a power amplifier circuit, without a preamp stage of any kind. Look at this one - no knobs in front, no remote control either, so no potentiometer of any kind, and neither does the Line Output on the DAC.

An integrated amplifier on the other hand is an speaker amplifier that has a preamplifier stage built into it, so if it has a big enough knob (some power amps have some kind of gain control, but not a real potentiometer), just make sure you don't use the input labelled "Direct" (as that bypasses the preamplifier section and goes straight into the power amp).

A headphone amplifier is technically an integrated amplifier, as it has a preamplifier stage (even if just for itself, with no preamp outputs) and the amplifier stage in the same chassis. I am not aware of any headphone amp without a preamp stage. Even with no volume knob, some come with a remote, or buttons - basically there is always a preamp although knobs aren't the only choice for controlling them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back