Can I use only one 9V battery instead of using 2 9V batteries on the BANZAI V2 CMOY Headphone Amplifier? Why/why not?
Jul 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sevs

New Head-Fier
Can I use only one 9V battery instead of using 2 9V batteries on the BANZAI V2 CMOY Headphone Amplifier?

Why/why not?

If so, then what should I do?

Jul 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 6
Minimum voltage for the JRC 4560D opamp is ±4V, which means you'll quickly run into battery life issues. You can't use one battery without modifying the circuit because of the way the Banzai CMOY splits the voltage rails.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Minimum voltage for the JRC 4560D opamp is ±4V, which means you'll quickly run into battery life issues. You can't use one battery without modifying the circuit because of the way the Banzai CMOY splits the voltage rails.

If I do like shown in this bad diagram I made in Paint, will it work then, you think? Will I damage something?
FIG 1: Original schematic made by Electric Sumo

FIG. 2: Bad schematic made by me. The green and blue wires are for eventually adding an external 230V to 9V adaptor, so I could connect it to the wall outlet, or add an external battery.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 6
You will short the batteries if you wire it like that. You need a rail splitter after the switch to create a ground if you want to switch between battery and wall-power.

Information on virtual ground: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html
In your case, it can be as simple as adding a resistor across the capacitors' pins.

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
You will short the batteries if you wire it like that. You need a rail splitter after the switch to create a ground if you want to switch between battery and wall-power.

Information on virtual ground: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html
In your case, it can be as simple as adding a resistor across the capacitors' pins.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 6
I run my banzai v2 off a single 9v battery or two 3.7 li-ion in series. it is vary easy to mod the circuit with the only extra part you need being a rail splitter. 
If you need some help still i can draw up the changes i made and give you part numbers for digi-key. 

For some reason my kit came with 220uf caps, switched them for 470uf. Tried all the Op-Amps i had on hand, the opa1642 sounds best with
the headphones i own but that's my opinion  and doesn't mean its best for everyone. The v2 is still far from perfect but i like it all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back