Can I use Astro MixAmp Pro TR with high-end headphones for gaming?
Mar 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Tacanacy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for new headphones for (console) gaming in the 200-300 USD range, and I have an Astro MixAmp Pro TR (that I use with Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X, which cost the same as the mixamp), so I wonder if I can use it for any headphones without it downgrading the sound quality.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #2 of 11
For FPS gaming, your really not going to find anything that is really that much better then the AD700X.
I'm sure for $200-$300 you can find headphones that sound better (or at least have more bass), then the AD700X.
Maybe the Philips Fidelio X2.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 11
  For FPS gaming, your really not going to find anything that is really that much better then the AD700X.
I'm sure for $200-$300 you can find headphones that sound better (or at least have more bass), then the AD700X.
Maybe the Philips Fidelio X2.

I'm asking if I can use Astro MixAmp Pro TR with all headphones without it compromising the sound quality because I've ordered a second one, but I haven't found new headphones yet, and don't know when I will. The reason I bought a second mixamp now is to test if my current one is faulty. If the second has the same problem, then I'll just return it and get a refund, and then I have to find a new amp, or an adaptor, or something else, plus a new form for in-line volume and chat control. If the mixamp is faulty, then I don't mind keeping the second one, and having two. Then I avoid the hassle of switching cables back and forth between consoles, which is what I always intended to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It either being headphones for each console, having multiple amps, or some other solution.

The reason I don't want to simply return the mixamp for repair is because the problem is only with one game. Though the mixamp did freeze once. If it's the game that has a problem with the mixamp and not the other way around, then I would have to pay for shipping and examination.

The AD700X slides down my head and hangs on my ears, so I'm thinking of replacing it. But I want to buy headphones with focus on sound quality first.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 11
You cant use it for all headphones.You can use it with any 32ohm easy to drive headphone,although I must admit,it drove my Sennheiser HD600s quite well.

It doesnt have enough power to drive a 600ohm headphone or a planar headphone.

The above forementioned Fidelio X2 is a solid headphone for gaming(and music too)

You can also read this thread,that has tons of information

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 11

I'm asking if I can use Astro MixAmp Pro TR with all headphones without it compromising the sound quality because I've ordered a second one, but I haven't found new headphones yet, and don't know when I will. The reason I bought a second mixamp now is to test if my current one is faulty. If the second has the same problem, then I'll just return it and get a refund, and then I have to find a new amp, or an adaptor, or something else, plus a new form for in-line volume and chat control. If the mixamp is faulty, then I don't mind keeping the second one, and having two. Then I avoid the hassle of switching cables back and forth between consoles, which is what I always intended to do, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It either being headphones for each console, having multiple amps, or some other solution.
The reason I don't want to simply return the mixamp for repair is because the problem is only with one game. Though the mixamp did freeze once. If it's the game that has a problem with the mixamp and not the other way around, then I would have to pay for shipping and examination.
The AD700X slides down my head and hangs on my ears, so I'm thinking of replacing it. But I want to buy headphones with focus on sound quality first.

If you leave the wings folded most of the way down, for long periods of time, it should change the memory of the springs, hopefully the wings will then hold up the headphones better.
Like stack several books between the two headphone cups, to hold the wings most of the way down, over night, maybe for a few nights.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 11
  You cant use it for all headphones.You can use it with any 32ohm easy to drive headphone,although I must admit,it drove my Sennheiser HD600s quite well.

It doesnt have enough power to drive a 600ohm headphone or a planar headphone.

The above forementioned Fidelio X2 is a solid headphone for gaming(and music too)

You can also read this thread,that has tons of information

300, that's a huge difference. I checked some of the headphones I found while searching for new headphones, which I potentially might buy, and PC363D, G4ME One, GAME Zero, and ATH-AG1x are 50 ohms. Even the Astro A40 is 48 ohms. So would I be fine with 18 ohms over? 

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #7 of 11

If you leave the wings folded most of the way down, for long periods of time, it should change the memory of the springs, hopefully the wings will then hold up the headphones better.
Like stack several books between the two headphone cups, to hold the wings most of the way down, over night, maybe for a few nights.

Thanks, I'll try that. Did you mention Fidelio X2 as an alternative to AD700X?

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 11

300, that's a huge difference. I checked some of the headphones I found while searching for new headphones, which I potentially might buy, and PC363D, G4ME One, GAME Zero, and ATH-AG1x are 50 ohms. Even the Astro A40 is 48 ohms. So would I be fine with 18 ohms over? 

It should be,although I own four different 32om headphones and each are different in the amount of power they require to get to the same volume.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 11
no,it also effects clarity,distortion,soundstage,tightness of bass...to name the primary issues.

that being said,X1/X2 works incredibly well with MixAmp Pro

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 11

Thanks, I'll try that. Did you mention Fidelio X2 as an alternative to AD700X?

The Philips Fidelio X2 gets a lot of good feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back