Can I use an Audio Interface with Schiit Stack at the same time in Windows 10?
Dec 28, 2018 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

thejoneser

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I currently use a Behringer UMC404HD USB audio interface for a AT2035 microphone, JBL 305P MKII speakers, and DT990 Headphones. This is plugged into a desktop PC (Win 10, i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, 4TB Storage, etc.) All works great.

My question is, if I buy a Schiit stack, can I also plug this into the PC for music listening? Ideally, I'd like the Behringer audio interface to handle the mic input and drive the JBL speakers, but I'd like all the headphone output to run through the Schiit stack.

I've searched the web but I can't find a definite answer as to whether this will work or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 28, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm not the expert.......but.
My two cents.
You can have the Schiit DAC plugged (USB, optical, coaxial) into the computer at the same time as the Audio Interface (USB).
And you can control (thru Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab) which device you want to output audio with.
I would suggest connecting the JBLs to the Schiit stack.
You might be able to use the Audio Interface for input (the mic) into the computer, while the audio output is thru the Schiit DAC.
But it's not something I have ever tried.

Me, I would replace the DT990 headphones.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply! I see what you're saying, but I'd really like to control the JBLs through the Behringer because it has separate speaker and headphone volume knobs. In other words, I'm looking for the ability to play and control the output of the JBLs at the same time as having the headphones at a different volume. I hope that makes sense. Oh and BTW, the DT990s are only for gaming. I also have K701, HD650, HD600, and some others. :) Thanks again!

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the quick reply! I see what you're saying, but I'd really like to control the JBLs through the Behringer because it has separate speaker and headphone volume knobs. In other words, I'm looking for the ability to play and control the output of the JBLs at the same time as having the headphones at a different volume. I hope that makes sense. Oh and BTW, the DT990s are only for gaming. I also have K701, HD650, HD600, and some others. :) Thanks again!
So you want to be able to output separate audio streams (from USB ports?) at the same time, from your Windows 10 computer.
Which is something I have never tried and not really sure how to do.
You might also try asking on this forum.
https://www.tenforums.com/
This link might also help.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-sound-settings-windows-10-april-2018-update

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 5
From Tom at Schiit Audio -

Yes, if you want to listen to music only you can use the Modi/Magni combo. When you want to listen to the combo, simply select the Modi as the default playback device and when you want to use the Behringer, switch that to the default playback device. Another option is to not use the Modi, and use the Behringer and connect the Magni the Behringer's line out or headphone output. Please note that if using the Modi, you will only be able to use one device at a time since either the Behringer or the Modi will have to be set as the default playback device, and depending on which default device is selected, it will either playback from the Modi or the Behringer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back