Can I use a peak meter to visually see dynamic compression?
Apr 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scannon18

100+ Head-Fier
Foobar has a peak meter that I like to use sometimes.  I am wondering: if the blue bars reach all the way to the limit of the meter, does this imply that some sounds are being dynamically compressed?  Otherwise the bar would extend higher than the limit of the meter?  It is not really possible to say how much dynamic compression is occurring using this method, but can this be used as a tool to determine when dynamic compression it is taking place?

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Blue bars to the top has nothing to do with compression per se (though typically only compressed music will go that high). 

Digital music can not possibly ever go above -0db, or unity.  It simply cannot happen. 

Compression will be seen when the bars barely move relative to itself, instead of varying extremely widely. 

Hope this helps! 

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Blue bars to the top has nothing to do with compression per se (though typically only compressed music will go that high). 

Digital music can not possibly ever go above -0db, or unity.  It simply cannot happen. 

Compression will be seen when the bars barely move relative to itself, instead of varying extremely widely. 

Hope this helps! 

^This. Also keep in mind that a large dynamic range will NOT guarantee good quality sound.

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Yes you can use the peak meter to very roughly estimate dynamic range compression. If for example, the peak bars always are between -5 and 0 dB the song is very likely heavily compressed (assuming it's a normal song and not some steady noise). If on the other hand the peak bars every now and then fall below -20 or even -30 dB like it is the case with classical recordings then it's probably much less compressed.

What you probably also want to take a look at are ReplayGain numbers, e.g. a metal track show a track peak at 0.999 (~= 0 dB) and a track gain of -8 dB (which means too loud) while a classical track might show a peak of 0.9 (~= -1 dB) and gain of +1 dB (which means too quiet).

@El_Doug: While a bit off-topic, mp3's can easily go over 0 dBFS since decoders can output normalized floating point numbers (1.0 = 0 dBFS). Same is true for every DSP plugin foobar2000 or any DAW, VSTs etc.

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 12
Apr 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Apr 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Wow most of my music falls between 3 and 6 on the Dynamic Range scale.  The widest dynamic range of my library comes from Joanna Newsom and Shpongle albums, which are around 10-12 on the scale

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 12
Most commercial genres have a dynamic range of 2-5. Some of it is so horrid its hard to listen to more than a couple of songs. Everything sounds flat, like a digital voice was used with a keyboard, the only variation is the notes.

The only ones I've found with higer range (8-12+) are either the original (non-remastered) recordings from 60s-70s-80s, or jazz/instrumental/classical.

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
There are still exceptions…
Massive Attack albums
John Frusciante - The Empyrean
Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning
to name a few.

Well, the indie/underground/trip-hop scene is also good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back