can i use 5% 1/4 watt carbon film resistors in mint r11?
May 9, 2004 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
are these suitable for use with my mint r11?

the rest of the amp is using 1% dale-vishy metal film 1/8 watt ones.

does it really matter?

and also the best value for the buffer is supposed to be 200 ohms, but i only have a set of 130 ohms and a set of 300 ohms and a set of 360 ohms.

is it better to be higher or lower than the recommended 200 ohm value for r11?

May 9, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

is it better to be higher or lower than the recommended 200 ohm value for r11?

Assuming this is a portable amp I would go higher rather then lower for R11, but that also depends on the phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

To answer your first question..... Yes, as long as the two resistors are closely matched a Carbon one will be fine there.

It kinda sucks that you can't use a socket there doesn't it?
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 12
nah i don't have an enclosure big enough for a portable mint.

the hammond that i got is too small, so im using it off a 15 v DC power supply.

so power consumption isn't an issue.

since the r11 is just determines the bandwidth of the buffer it should have no effect on relative volumes of the left and right channels right?

and i don't have a multimeter so i can't really match them anyways
biggrin.gif

but if power consumption is not an issue would higher or lower than 200 be better?

btw- im driving e2cs with this amp and probably a hd595 soon
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

are these suitable for use with my mint r11?

Carbon, yes, 1/4W, no. The R11 board position on the MINT only has room for standard 1/8W resistors. You could bend the leads on a 1/4W one to make it fit, but I wouldn't.

Quote:

the rest of the amp is using 1% dale-vishy metal film 1/8 watt ones.

You should know that RN55s are specified for 1/8W because of the high temperatures they're rated for. At normal temperatures, they're 1/4W resistors. I point this out because the 1/8W resistors you use for the MINT's R11 are much smaller.

Quote:

and also the best value for the buffer is supposed to be 200 ohms, but i only have a set of 130 ohms and a set of 300 ohms and a set of 360 ohms.

The exact value isn't that critical. I'd use the 300's myself, in that situation.

Quote:

since the r11 is just determines the bandwidth of the buffer it should have no effect on relative volumes of the left and right channels right?

Right.

May 9, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 12
cool thanks tangent, so whats the problem with using the 1/4 watt ones? they might short or something?

edit: haha it turns out i got 1/2 watt resistors from digikey.

are they too big? the picture of the mint pcb on the tangentsoft page looks to have the same lookin resistor with the color bands and all.

May 9, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 12
the R11 is only 5mm spacing, whereas the other resistors are 7.5mm (ie, R11 is smaller than the rest), so you could use a 7.5mm like the rest, but it would be semi-tombstoned, look bad, not be so mechanically stable, and increase the exposed metal area.

g

May 9, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 12
ohhhhhhhh i see!

anyone know where to get 5mm resistors on the cheap? from a local source?

will radio shack have em?

May 9, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 12
Radio Shack should have them. Ask for 1/8W resistors. Here's a picture of my MINT just to illustrate it clearly. The light yellow one is R11, the rest are all 1% metal films (the 7.5mm ones). The other discrete is the CRD for Class-A bias

MINTR11.jpg

hope that helps

g

May 10, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Radio Shack should have them.

No such luck.

1/8W resistors are less common than 1/4W and 1/2W resistors. You may well have to order them.

May 11, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 12
bah, i'll just wait until im going to make my next amp to get the r11s then. but i will check radio shack on wednesday...

May 11, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

i will check radio shack on wednesday...

I'm telling you, they don't have them. Go to radioshack.com and look. Everything they carry in their stores is listed up there.

May 11, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
I'm telling you, they don't have them. Go to radioshack.com and look. Everything they carry in their stores is listed up there.

well if that is the case i'll just to wait until i order from mouser again....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back