Can I upgrade from HD 555? Looking for IEM's
May 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
Edit:
** I have decide I am going to need some new IEM's/canalphones more than an actual full size headphone**
Suggestions? (considering the 5 criteria's here below in this post)

Hi,
I was looking around for a upgrade from the sennheiser HD 555. I looked a lot around on head-fi.org, but I couldn't find a significant better headphone for me; concidering the following criteria:

- Will be using a mp3 player as source (still don't know which one, but i'll be starting a totally new rig)
- The headphone must be quite forgiving on mp3's, because I don't want to hear flaws too obvious. (I have hard time handeling sibilance.)
- It's comfortable to wear at least an hour.

Reasons why I want to upgrade from a HD 555 are:
- Don't really like the bass. It's there a lot, but not strong enough to me.
- Main Reason: It sometimes doesn't sound very muscial/boring to me. The HD 555 are said to be very good with classical. But I listen to a lot of things except classical. I do listen lots of Rock, Hiphop, Pop and Dance.

I am not specifically looking for headphones, maybe IEMS would suit me better. Well maybe someone has a good suggestion and perhaps with matching sources (mp3player/amp).
rolleyes.gif

May 30, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 13
DT770/80's your solution.

It works wonderfully without an amp. Best sounding headphones under $200.

- lk

May 30, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 13
Try fixing your source up first, after I modded my x-fi my HD555's were massively improved. X-fi stock is pretty meh, it's always going to hold you back regardless of what headphones you buy.

May 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 13
Ah thanks for the input.
Not sure about the DT770's. They seems to be kinda fatiguing. And reading around on the forum makes be believe they do need an amp. The DT990's or DT880's are open maybe they would fit me more.
Thanks for the X-fi tip. But I don't listen to music on the computer, its more for gaming. Source for new phones will be a mp3player, but still don't know which one.

I am starting to believe that it would be best to have some new iem's/canalphones so it will cover all genres and situations with the hd555.

Anyway still open for suggestions that match my criteria. headphone or iem, doesn't really matter actually.

May 30, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Get a pair of grado 225's. You will be surprised what a difference they will make. They make my 580's sound boring.

May 30, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Well, I personally had a 555. Was running off the ipod with hornet. When I compared it with a 640c as the source, the 555 sounded so much better.

Thus the source is usually the bottleneck in most setups.

May 30, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, guess thats true. I once listen to the hd555's plugged in my sister's apple ibook and it sounded already much better than the cowon D2 player. The HD555 sounded so much more powerfull.

May 30, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #9 of 13
Grados are amazing for rock, but they'll lack the bass you want for hiphop. I'm sure someone can probably recommend some easy to drive Audio Technicas or something of the sort? I've been hearing a lot about the A700 or A900 I believe. Sennheiser 580 or 595 might also do the trick.

May 30, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 13
Sennheiser HD25-1 and ATH ES7, both closed cans. I use both unamped with good results, they do improve when amped though. My favourite is the ES7 but I recommend you to check out both, the sound signature is different between these two.

May 30, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #12 of 13
Why not a portable amp instead? Grados are sibilant, and don't even think about dt-990. maybe hd-595/580 and a amp, go vibe 6, I guess this would be in the same price as a dt990, this should rock your world.

May 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #13 of 13
thank you all for your replies. I looked at them all. But I think I will stay with the hd555, mainly because either the difference wouldn't be too big or sound or model wouldn't fit me. I think I will save up for a real rig with hd650 later on.

But I still going to need a replacement for the cx300, any suggestions in the iems canalphone section? (considering the criteria in the 1st post)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back