Can I take HD650's with me on the road?
Jan 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Saadnation

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking in here for the past couple of weeks trying to find out what is right for me.  After countless hours of searching for something, the Senn 650's seem like they are what I am looking for.  However, I travel a lot for work.  90% of the time, I am driving to my hotel so when I say "on the road" I don't mean lugging them through an airport or anything, but safe and sound in the backseat of my car or trunk.  What I am looking for is a good enough amp and DAC that can drive these things when I am at home on my PC which I built in October of 2012 but will also work with my Macbook Pro for when I am at a hotel.  Bonus points if it will also work work with my HTC One/iPad.  I have ruled out the "portable amps" because they seem like they are designed for use while actually on the go and the sound suffers because of it.  It looks like I want a desktop amp, but nothing too fragile or gigantic.

Am I dreaming too big?  Are the 650's too fragile even for this sort of transportation?  Would I be better off with another setup while I am in this line of work?  I would really hate to sacrifice sound just for something more portable.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 2
You should at least get a carrying case if you don't have one already, if you really want to make sure they don't break.. Get a Pelican, those things are indestructible (though, expensive).

As for a DAC/AMP, there are a few that meet your requirements, one of them is the Audinst HUD-mx2 which I personally have. You are able to use the USB OTG of the HTC, as well as the line out of the iPad. But if you don't want to deal with the potential issues with those options, I would suggest the ODAC+O2 combo, which is very small but still sufficient, and then use the line in on the ODAC+O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back