Can I still get A series at Sony Store?
Feb 8, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratobeats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Sansa Clip+ a few days ago. I'm quite disappointed with it because of it's limited battery (around 6 hours on normal use) lack of eq settings, and the "bright" sound signature. I'm planning on exchanging it for a walkman S series. Just a few questions though.

1) realistic speaking, can I get at least 35 hours of battery life with settings/eq on?
2) I have a USB charger. Does the s model have a mini usb slot for charging?
3) I really like the clip's folder browse option. Is it available on the Walkman?
4) Does it work with a mac?
5) I can get an 8gb e series for $99 or an 8 gb s series for just $10 more (on sale at Future Shop). I really don't need the video and speakers, but is the s series worth getting over the e series for just $10 more?

Sorry for so many questions
biggrin.gif

Based on Sony E-series walkman not S series.
1- I have not kept track of just how many hours - but you should be able to get 30+ hours. I usually charge my mp3 player once every 2-3 weeks - but then again i dont listen to it for hours everyday.
2) yes it has a mini usb slot
3) there is a folder option
4) i know it will work with mac as a drag and drop mass storage device.
5)I would say for 10$ more for the S series with speakers can be useful you never know when u may use it - BUT look out for deals on the e-series i got my 8gb e series from zellers for 69.99 in canada on a special- which is why i bought it over the s series. And its even cheaper if you live in the US via amazon.

- Overall im pretty happy with the e series walkman which i chose over the fuze (since the sony had a better EQ and FM SQ)

replied to initial post ... no im not smoking up ... or am i ...
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 5
If you are after very long battery life, get one of the Sony S740 series. This player is not yet available in the US, but oddly enough is available in Canada, Europe and Australia, and is rated for 45 hours of battery life. It's a better option since you are not fussed about the speakers on the S540 series, so maybe you can look at import options.

The A series is being replaced by a new A840 series, which is again not yet available in US but is now available in Europ eand Australia. It has the digital amplifier of the X series, which is pretty widely praised on this forum. Perhaps this is why it is hard to find the A series at the moment.

The walkman's will work drag and drop on the Mac, but for full integration with iTunes I use a neat little program called Salling Media Sync. It costs a little money but it handles podcasts and music just fine, and synchronises with playlists so you can work with smart playlists, ratings etc. I find it much more useful than the drag and drop, because I found (on my S series walkman) that the thing didn't want to eject properly.

I don't know what the above poster is referencing, because the S series can certainly do folder searching, but does not have a mini USB slot :S

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know what the above poster is referencing, because the S series can certainly do folder searching, but does not have a mini USB slot :S

Sorry i was speaking about the E series - ive edited my post to clarify that
smily_headphones1.gif

The A840 is extremely nice! but will also expect it to cost much more than the S series.

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Just came back from the Sony store. After drooling over the S740 and X series for several minutes, I came to my senses after seeing the HIGH price tag. I decided on settling for the cheapest one, the e series walkman which was on sale for $79.
After testing it out, I don't know why I even considered getting the Clip+ before. The 4gb Clip cost me $49 + 29 for a 8gb SD (which is $80, same as walkman but with 4gb more memory).
I feel that the walkman SQ+EQ sounds better, has more features, better build and generally looks better than the Clip. Not to mention it has double the battery life. Now I am wondering what all the hype is about the Clip apart from it's portability. Very satisfied with my purchase. Thanks for your help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back