Can I split preamp signal?
Apr 4, 2006 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I want to hook up a second amp to my reciever that has only one set of preamp outs and was wondering if this would be OK or if it would create signal loss or any noticable sound degration? I was thinking of using a rca splitter and 2 cables less than 1m, so would that be OK or not?
Thanks.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 3
Also one more question-
I am agoing to run a cable from my computer to my livingroom stereo (~30 feet) and wondered what has less signal degeneration - 30 feet of analog rca cables or 30 feet of digital coaxial cable? I will use a dac (either right of my computer or at the stereo), but just wondered the best way to get a signal across the distance.

Apr 4, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 3
Splitting the preamp out with a high quality splitter and those short cable lengths should present no problems, particularly if you will be operating both power amps at all times, so the output impedance will be relatively constant.

As to question two - digital coax or analog rca for 30 ft run, I vote for the digital coax. Now, if the analog was over balanced cable, that would likely be better than the long run of coax digital, but single ended?, I'd choose the digital every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back