Can I salvage my alarm clock?
Dec 21, 2006 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
My alarm clock has a somewhat blown speaker. I checked and found that the speakers are 8 ohm 2 watts. Can I get replacements for that? I really liked it, but the blown speaker makes it sound awful. I'm actually going to check out a different cd alarm clock tomorrow, but who knows if I'll get it.

So, if you know of some good and cheap 8 ohm 2 watt speakers, feel free to let me know. They're built in to the 'box', but it's not a big issue if the new speakers dont fit in. I can rig up something small to enclose them in.
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 8
pm Blumenco. I've seen him replace his clock radio speaker with fostex drivers
basshead.gif
.Thought a little bit insane, he really knows his stuff. Check him out.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+

So, if you know of some good and cheap 8 ohm 2 watt speakers, feel free to let me know. They're built in to the 'box', but it's not a big issue if the new speakers dont fit in. I can rig up something small to enclose them in.
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Of course you can get a replacement. Who made your alarm clock? You might be able to get the exact part.

Mouser sells cheap speakers of the sort found in $15 radios.

Take a look at catalog pages 1494 and 1501 --
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1494.pdf
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/628/1501.pdf

MCM also carries a few replacement speakers. Go to www.mcm.com and type speaker in the search box.

PartsExpress caters to speaker builders. Most of what they carry will need more power than your clock radio puts out but they may have something.

Radio Shack might have something.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Computer case speakers might be a possible source as well, and should be easily salvagable from aging hardware. Quality will suck, of course, though. You can probably get better drivers at the sites listed above, but if it's a cheap clock radio it likely won't be any different from a computer speaker.

Dec 21, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it fit?

Well of course it doesn't!

Completely wrong shape actually.
tongue.gif

However, I planned on mounting them externally so they can both face the same direction instead of being on separate sides of the alarm clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back