Can I run a Turntable out right into a headamp?
Dec 16, 2004 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dshook

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I am trying to sort out some sort of relatively low cost vinyl headphone setup, can I run a turntable right into my headphone amplifier, or must I feed it through a stage/receiver phono first? If so, why?

Cheers

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshook
Hey,

I am trying to sort out some sort of relatively low cost vinyl headphone setup, can I run a turntable right into my headphone amplifier, or must I feed it through a stage/receiver phono first? If so, why?

Cheers

You are going to have to run the table through either a phono stage or something with a PS built in it (int., preamp, reciever) before you go to the head-amp.
You need to boost the signal from the table.

Dec 16, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 4
The signal has to go thru a phono stage. Even if your headphone amp has enough gain to amplify the signal it would still sound wrong. Phono stages do two things: they amplify a small signal up to a normal line level output. They also equalize the signal using a long established equalization curve called the RIAA curve (Recording Industry Association og America).

You could get a stand alone phono stage like the NAD PP-2 ($129?) or if you have an old receiver or integrated amp that has a phono input you could use it.

Dec 16, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back