CAN I RUN 2 DACS TOGETHER??
Feb 28, 2008 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
help pleeez!!!!!I currently have a headroom micro dac which is connected to both a soundblaster live external sound card, and to my little dot mkv amp.I have not been too impressed by the output of the soundcard, so i was told i should improve my "source" and get an emu 0404 as a replacement for the soundblaster live.Problem is,the emu also acts a DAC,and i already have one.Does it make any sense to connect the emu to my dac,or should i take my headroom DAC out of the equation.any help would be appreciated.

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 9
my idea is to connect the headroom DAC via soundblaster live and EMU 0404USB via Usb port. so you'll have 2 choice of DAC and can decide which one is your choice. or you could connect the Soundblaster to EMU and then EMU to MicroDac but EMU will act as the transport while the Dac is microdac.

Theres no point of using both at the same time. take out either one out of the equitation depending on your taste

Feb 28, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold up, First off, why are you plugging your headroom DAC into a sound card? Just USB it, bypassing that whole thing and then feed it right into your amp.

Am I missing something?

opss. didnt know that the Microdac has the USB option.

connect both via USB and choose the ones that you're planning to use via Foobar or windows Sound setup

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 9
oh.I have the dac connected to the soundcard thru the optical cable,then the line out from the dac straight to my amp.Is that an incorrect setup?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 9
In case i wasnt clear,i am getting the emu 0404 usb as a replacement soundcard for the soundblaster live.I just wasnt sure what to do with the DAC that i already have,being that the emu can be used as a stand-alone DAC.Hope i didnt complicate things.

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 9
If you're connecting the Headroom to the soundcard via optical, the soundcard isn't acting as a DAC anyway, so there will be minimal (if any) improvement by replacing the SB live.

Feb 28, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
connect both via USB and choose the ones that you're planning to use via Foobar or windows Sound setup

Interesting. I did not know that Foobar could make that choice. I'm comparing two DACs now. I will see if that works for switching back and forth. (I know that you have to close Foobar and reopen to effect changes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back