Can I replace the satellites in my Edifier S730 2.1 system with other speakers until I get a dedicated amplfiier for them?
Oct 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have the Edifier S730, and I want to replace them because I want more powerful left/right speakers.

What I was considering (until I got my hands on a speaker amp), was running some Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 speakers from it.

The left/right stock speakers are replaceable (plug in with bare wire), and have a 4Ω woofer and 6Ω tweeter.
The Wharfedale Diamond 10.2s are 6Ω and require 20-100W power.
The satellite's amp inside the subwoofer can provide up to 75W power per channel.

Would it be a bad idea to run the Wharfedales through them?
I know the amp has enough power for them, but could any damage occur to the Wharfedales as a result of this?
Will they be underpowered in any way?

I do realise this is unconventional as I am essentially replacing computer speaker satellites with bookshelf speakers, but should I give it a shot?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Yup, you can do it without too much risk: as the impedance is close; just don't turn it all the way to max- should be ok.

Try it... But I'll guarantee that you won't get an increase in audio quality... As your system sends a huge amount of the miss and bass to your subwoofer.
If you can somehow change this- then you'll get more.
Have fun!

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. That's a sort of relief.
I guess if I DO get the 10.2s I can buy an amplifier and other stuff with the money from the S730s.
The impedance on these satellites is 4Ω, the Wharfedales are 6Ω, is that close enough?

On the volume controller there are the following options:
Volume 0 to 50
Subwoofer -10 to 10
Bass -6 to 6
Treble -6 to 6
Balance -9 to +9

I guess I could reduce the subwoofer volume and boost the bass, but I assume you're referring to the crossover frequency.
Still the S730 are known for being light on mids so I'm sure upgrading from 3.5" to 6.5" woofers will help with this and the mid-bass.

I only put the volume up to 15 as it is, they get quite loud quickly so I won't be at risk of overpowering the Wharfedales or anything.
The sub stays on even when you turn it to -10.

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, with solid state amps like the ones on most computer speakers including these edifiers... Going up* in impedance is "ok" meaning it won't damage anything. Going down would Overwork the amp.

Actually, if you want more mids: this should do it... Although, the trebble may be affected- meaning you may lose depth. I've tried this before... Not sure if you're going to get the same results.
Try it, let me know how it goes!

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 5
I think it'd definitely be an upgrade, but it's nice to know that the replacements wouldn't be at any risk.

Considering that the S730 consist of the sub, satellites, built in satellite and sub amps, the volume control and wireless remote, the value of the satellites from this £230 set vs £250 Wharfedales is an upgrade I look forward to.

As for treble, I'm not sure what'll happen with that, but I can adjust bass and treble levels on these speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back